Project Idea - Need feedback

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hey guys, I've been considering a [probably] interesting project, and considering the free/open-source nature of the LMMS project, this seemed like an excellent place to start asking for feedback and thoughts on something like this. I typed this beforehand to try and make it so anybody could understand what my project was, so bear with me on how much it explains.

The creation of software to imitate real instruments is a slowly growing industry. These synthesizers do not entirely replace working with real musicians (and likely never will), but are incredibly useful for creating music, or even just prototyping before getting started with the real thing. Amateur and professional composers alike enjoy the benefits of this.

However, all users of synthesizers face one problem: everything is very expensive and restricted by limiting licenses. The best sounds available for free & under public domain are provided by the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, but these are not up to par with today’s standards – some sounds are unclear or muddied, and several articulations are also missing, not to mention some of the sounds simply being dated (particularly the percussion – and no disrespect to SSO, as they only use what already existed.)

This is because of the nature of what is called sampling. ‘Samples’ of an instrument are created by meticulously recording each and every required note in each play-style. Not only is it a long and tedious process, hiring the players to sit down and play the boring sequences of notes is very expensive. Due to this, samples are often locked behind annoying anti-piracy protection (especially in the case of the East/West orchestra – I have heard many unpleasant things about their iLok authentication), expensive sample players such as the full version of Kontakt 5, and are not able to be modified, edited, and used as the customer pleases.

So this is where the concept of Timbre Woods comes into play. The idea behind this is to produce high quality & clear recordings for use in synthesizing music, via crowd funding, and release under the Public Domain license. This means the recordings can be modified, distributed, and even sold in other products as anyone pleases (although that would be a little silly due to being free in the first place.)

Another very interesting prospect is working with LMMS so the program can use the samples - of course, there are some difficulties with this, especially considering the possible file size of this project. (Similar sample libraries are upwards of 10 GB.)

What do you guys think? Is there any way that this could be a viable project? What about working to integrate the samples into LMMS, assuming they ever get made? Considering the idea revolves around being free & public domain, I feel the two would go together fairly well.

You can read a bit more about it here: https://timbrewoods.wordpress.com/about-2/, where I also explain the quality & format I intend to provide the samples in, and other things.
I think it sounds great if this gets done. 10 gb can be a problem for most users I think.
Gps wrote:I think it sounds great if this gets done. 10 gb can be a problem for most users I think.
The problem is less hard drive space and more how long it takes to download, and I think most people would be able to deal with that if they wanted the whole library - the problem came up when considering the idea of integrating it with LMMS.
I have fwd your post to the mail-list. Project maintainer tresf should propl. soon chime in.
Personally i like every expansion in lmms. Library size of 10 gb, is a (luxurio) problem, but the library download should imo be separated from the lmms-install pack, that users need to upgrade ~twice / year. Sample libraries would not need to be upgraded, supplements could be added by users from LSP.
No -The real issue here is how much 'strain' this would add to the LSP download page.
~3-5000 peeps dl lmms -weekly- ! If they also dl 10 gb of samples, then LSP is far from able to manage afaik.

(The sample libraries are in a transient state, and it is part of the ongoing work, right now)
I of course like the idea. I don't think this project is impossible: a lot of el. mus. producers know musicians and can ask them to play notes without paying.

But LMMS still lacks of a multi-sample player, so each note is a track by itself and writing is tedious.

I actually use freepats for traditional sounds.
musikbear wrote:I have fwd your post to the mail-list. Project maintainer tresf should propl. soon chime in.
Personally i like every expansion in lmms. Library size of 10 gb, is a (luxurio) problem, but the library download should imo be separated from the lmms-install pack, that users need to upgrade ~twice / year. Sample libraries would not need to be upgraded, supplements could be added by users from LSP.
No -The real issue here is how much 'strain' this would add to the LSP download page.
~3-5000 peeps dl lmms -weekly- ! If they also dl 10 gb of samples, then LSP is far from able to manage afaik.

(The sample libraries are in a transient state, and it is part of the ongoing work, right now)
About the strain on the lsp download page, use bittorrent ? Ask people to keep uploading after they have downloaded it ?

Bit-torrent for those who do not know is 100% legal, and written originally, to distribute Linux distro's.

I always use bit torrent to get my version of openSUSE (Linux). The torrent is provided by openSUSE.
Gps wrote:
musikbear wrote:I have fwd your post to the mail-list. Project maintainer tresf should propl. soon chime in.

About the strain on the lsp download page, use bittorrent ? Ask people to keep uploading after they have downloaded it ?

Bit-torrent for those who do not know is 100% legal, and written originally, to distribute Linux distro's.

I always use bit torrent to get my version of openSUSE (Linux). The torrent is provided by openSUSE.
That's what I was about to suggest - torrent networks spread the strain and are legal despite being normally used for illegal purposes.
I saw your post to the mailing list, as I am subscribed to it, so I'll be able to participate there as well.

Right now I'm still in the planning part, there are lot of little challenges to sort out - equipment choice, funding where finding volunteers isn't working out, recording locations (acoustic treatment goes a long way!) etcetera. Glad to hear everybody likes the idea.
even sold in other products as anyone pleases (although that would be a little silly due to being free in the first place.)
This isn't silly at all. I've bought many items released under and open use or open source license and sell open source software as well. RedHat and Ubuntu operate under a similar business model. This business model is often the source of drastic innovation in the open use and open source landscape.
But LMMS still lacks of a multi-sample player, so each note is a track by itself and writing is tedious.
Sound banks do this fairly well (e.g. SoundFonts, Giga Banks). You can't do fine-grained tweaks like filter, reverb, envelope per-sample, but a drum sampler plugin (per: #1460) may eventually offer that.
torrent networks spread the strain and are legal despite being normally used for illegal purposes.
I saw your post to the mailing list, as I am subscribed to it, so I'll be able to participate there as well.
Just budget some S3 storage into your campaign, make it sustainable by doing regular fund raising (we get about $150 annually from our donors -- most from BoL sales -- which we could re-donate a percentage to a cause like this) . But torrenting isn't taken as serious in the audio world as a big "Download" button. Many people refuse to install bit-torrent software simply due to its association with pirated content, so even if it's the recommended download approach, it shouldn't be the only one. If you are going to do it, do it right. Storage and bandwidth are cheaper than they were 10 years ago and there are add-free services which help release free content (we use GitHub releases currently, and they work tremendously well).

You may also decide to use a lossy or lossless compression format. Even the lossy ones have their merits when comparing the pros and cons. You may choose to offer the lossy version for free and the lossless version as a direct replacement for a small fee. This would cover your operating expenses and would allow professional musicians to try before they buy, so to speak.

In regards to the feasibility of this, you may want to talk to Aaron Dunn over at musopen, who successfully recorded and released Frédéric Chopin recordings to the public domain. I warn you though, this can quickly turn into a full time job. :) It took him 5 or 6 years go complete his goal. :)
-Tres
Also, consider cross-posting on the KVR boards. There are a lot of musicians over there (LMMS-using or not) that may help back such an effort. :)
Maybe this forum too ?

http://linuxmusicians.com