Help with creating a solid mix

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hello all!

I've been using LMMS for quite some time now, and for the life of me. no matter how much I gain stage, use subtractive EQ, not allow my mix to go beyond a 10db threshold with 6db peaks (Pre-master), ect...

...it still falls apart in any system outside of my LMMS setup. Narrowly staged (Despite hard pans), bass heavy, and quiet despite a 16-15 LUFS reading after 'Mastering'.

Is there a tutorial on how to properly set levels in order to create a more spacious, more professional mix in LMMS?
Is there a tutorial on how to properly cut bass in a kick within LMMS?
Is there a tutorial on how to create a solid mix that translates well to multiple sound systems using LMMS?

I've followed many LMMS Youtube turorials, my results always sound like the tutorial...until I try and play it elsewhere.

I have ideas that sound wonderful until I export the .wav file. Then the crying starts.

I know most of the problem is me. Too much conflicting advice on the internet to get to what I need.

Please help/ advise. Thank You.
The idea of LUFS in my opinion made my music worse because I was stuck with this filter in my head, you should make as loud as you can.

I don't know the type of music you make, but regardless, I would suggest seeing other producers explain their tracks, whether it's trap, hip hop, dubstep or house.

I would suggest watching the In the Mix youtube channel (on fl but doesn't matter), there are some track breakdowns on Gammer's The Drop and Out with the old.

Dylan tallchief is another good channel.

Just keep learning and creating.
Venommob108 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 pm

Is there a tutorial on how to properly set levels in order to create a more spacious, more professional mix in LMMS?
Is there a tutorial on how to properly cut bass in a kick within LMMS?
Is there a tutorial on how to create a solid mix that translates well to multiple sound systems using LMMS?
There is no, one way to mix or master a track.

Many professionals mix and master their tracks different from each other, and not all of them mix and master their tracks, the same way as other musicians.

Venommob108 wrote:
I've followed many LMMS Youtube turorials, my results always sound like the tutorial...until I try and play it elsewhere.
Please go into more detail what you mean here.

Venommob108 wrote:
I know most of the problem is me. Too much conflicting advice on the internet to get to what I need.

Please help/ advise. Thank You.
Yes, the problem is, you are watching too many tuts :P
Stop watching too many tuts. Lol! :)
There are vids explaining mixing and cutting frequencies.

I have not seen vid form people using LMMS, but that does not matter much.

Most of the stuff they do in fruityloops, albeton and cubase, you can do in LMMS too.

Its how I learned to cut frequencies.
My two cents for what its worth,

Good Mixing can be achieved using logic and visual aids also,

When panning, don’t go nuts, use a logical progressive steps, lets imagine a panning knob as a clock face, with us starting off at 12 O’Clock.

You have various instruments at different locations on the overall track, start to move them out to 11:00 and 13:00, then 10:00 and 14:00 etc etc.

When you move further down the track, you can use the same settings if you drop out sounds that you used those settings on previously, that is where the work really comes in, I suggest good old fashioned pen and paper to keep record of what is using each setting and where in the track, then its about brain power to allocate across the entire track and not clash.

That will sort out the panning.

On the overall levels, use the built in FX rack initially to guide roughly where you need to have the Volume levels visually, once your happy with that move on to using Voxengo SPAN

This tool I found to be amazing for what it does, this will really assist you adjusting each instrument to get it to the precise level you need, play each instrument on its own and add the Voxengo SPAN in the FX section of the instruments controller, this will allow you to monitor that instrument on its own, then you can tweak it up or down watching the level indicator to get it into the area you are looking to set it. But very important, either turn off Voxengo before exiting after you have worked with it, or delete it from the instrument, if you have Voxengo running on multiple instruments it really eats into Processor and RAM power.

At this point, you again need pen and paper, note where each frequency peaks and what space it occupies the most, do this with all your instruments, then you will be able to see which ones are in the same frequency ranges/areas, now if they are playing simultaneously in your track and occupying the same space, that is where you need to make an alteration to one or the other of them (Perhaps sidechain it here??)

By the time you have done all this, you should have a decent enough mix to export and then apply overall gain outside of LMMS, that’s what I do anyway for what its worth.