DSK brass plug-in tutorial?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi everyone,

I've been creating some pretty cool songs with LMMS and I've really gotten into the VST instrument plug-ins. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with the "DSK brass", and there is a certain sound (or range of sounds) that I'm trying to create. Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TDR9CpQOc
If you listen closely, there are basically 2 sets of horns playing in this video: saxophones and trumpets. The saxes basically work with the piano / lyrics, but the trumpet tends to stand out a lot more. Both are an important part of merengue music, and the trumpets also do the same thing in salsa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUKBokMKWUk
This one illustrates a similar relationship between the trumpets and trombones. It opens with this really cool little "call and response" where the trombones play a phrase then the trumpets do the same thing at a different octave. Like the saxes in merengue, the trombones in salsa kind of accompany or add to the piano/lyrics. And the trumpets are used pretty similar to merengue too - cutting through all those other instruments and still sounding great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHjlbyDkaOQ
This is another salsa but the effect is different - the trumpets and trombones play pretty much at the same time all the time. This isn't always what you want but it can make it a LOT easier to add a brass section to a song. This particular artist (Ricardo Rodriguez) created a couple dozen songs where his band played like that, and it works well for him (for me, who knows? :) ). Anyway I think for LMMS this can be accomplished using just one sound, one of those generic "brass section" sounds or whatever (or can it?)

What I'm looking for is a tutorial on how to create these different effects using the DSK brass plug-in. What I love about this plug-in is that it really tries to simulate the actual musicians. They can play with different "mutes" on the horns, just like in a real band, and the second horn can play at a different octave than the first (eliminating the need for each horn having a different track).

But that's all I know. I can change the instrument and octave, but have no idea what else to do. I haven't picked up a trumpet since 6th-grade band class and I've never played a trombone, so I don't know what all those letters and terms mean. What's a "flanger" (and is it pronounced like danger or hanger)? LOL - what do the A, S, D and R stand for? What do "retrigger" and "bend range" do? These are the kinds of questions that (for the moment) are way over my head. :))

So if there is a full tutorial somewhere that'd be great, but if not I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to create the kinds of sounds from those videos. Or both (which would be awesome), LOL.

Thanks in advance. :D
Wow! And it hasn't crashed on you yet. That's cool. I'm glad for you. :)

This may not help but.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuyzWSsTEE
Better put it on wide screen to see what he's doing in the video.
Sadly it seems there aren't any tuts on how to "Fully" use it though. Sad.
I've used DSK's Brass a couple of times. It's sweet.

It's 11:30 in the night here at home and still November 29th. And I'm yawning. So I'll hopefully post some info for you tomorrow, if I get any.
Now it's time for my "Beauty Sleep." Yawn. Bye.
Oh so sorry. I forgot to mention. You can check "LMMS Vst Plugin ZyncsubaddFX." Yawn!It has Space sound effects, "Brass sounds," Choirs etc.
NOW.............time for my "BEAUTY SLEEP!" Bye.
Yeah, I've seen that video before & never got much from it (the guy doesn't explain anything; he just kinda clicks around without saying anything and with my vision I'd have to study that video intensively for a couple hours before I could be able to "follow the bouncing mouse". :P

But I sure do appreciate your taking the time to check it out. Thanks. :) But I guess for now it's time to call it a night - based on the time you posted it sounds like you're on the east coast (I'm from there so I know the time difference), and even here it's getting late. So enjoy your "beauty sleep" and I'll get some "try not to get any uglier" sleep. :lol:

ttyl,
Miguel

PS - and yes, they do crash on me, sometimes a lot. But I use those workarounds we discussed in another thread, and haven't had any major problems since.
Oh boy. It seems to be "strangely crashing on me alot now." I'll try it again. I wonder if it's because I installed updates for Win 7? Hmmm........... :?
PS - and yes, they do crash on me, sometimes a lot. But I use those workarounds we discussed in another thread, and haven't had any major problems since.
This is the conversation we had. It's in the Projects section: https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms ... ?f=5&t=683

But I can help here, I hope the terms are the same with DSK's Vst's:
A= Attack
S=Sustain
D=Decay
R=Resonance

Retrigger and Bend Range sound very familiar. Hmm............. :? I think it may have something to do with the Wave form etc.
I think I'll have to look it up. Or you can do a "Wiki" or "Google search." :)
Yeah, I thought about that... unfortunately most of Wikipedia's info. on terms like that are so complicated that you almost have to already know what it is before you read it. :lol:

I think one thing I may end up doing is go on salsaforums.com and ask for any players' perspectives on the subject. I know one guy in particular who may know about the "mute" and "swell" thing; he has played trumpet w/some big salsa bands but never did trombone or sax.

But on the LMMS side I am definitely lost, LOL... starting with... attack? I kinda know what a "decay" is (how fast a sound stops, or decreases volume before it stops, like an echo or something) which I kinda thought was the definition of "resonance"... someone out there really needs to write a "Plug-ins for Noobs" :lol: I'd be the first buyer.
I see U have already gotten most of the help U needed already, but I just want to say....
mfox32322 wrote:I haven't picked up a trumpet since 6th-grade band class
Omg same exact situation with me. Also....
brandystarbrite wrote: I hope the terms are the same with DSK's Vst's:
They are :) And finally....
mfox32322 wrote:But on the LMMS side I am definitely lost, LOL... starting with... attack?
The attack is a measurement of how much a sounds volume fades in. In LMMS, a synth with the attack adjusted to one would take about six seconds to fade in. Obviously it can be adjusted to Ur taste, which most likely goes without saying lol.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure with time and practice I'll eventually figure out how to get it to sound right. :)
mfox32322 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm sure with time and practice I'll eventually figure out how to get it to sound right. :)
Thats the spirit! :D I wish U luck in finding what sounds suit U the best!