Understanding the Fine, Phase and Stereo Offset.

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi guys. I understand using Lmms Plugins like Organic and Triple Oscillator etc.
And I know how to make Plucks, Super Saws and other stuff too.
I understand "coarse detuning button" a good bit.

But.......... what I'm still trying to understand, is the use of the Fine Detuning L and R?
Phase Offset and Stereo Phase Detuning in Lmms?

And on another note. Do these "Detuners," have anything to do with Left and Right Speakers? :shock:

Can anyone give me a quick and easy short explanation? The Lmms 0.4.12 PDF Manual doesn't give a "more detailed explanation." But it came in handy though.

I'll be waiting patiently for your response.

Laterz.
I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure what they do exactly. But I can tell U that L and R are definitely referring to the left and right speakers :D I usually spend less time looking for an explanation and just play around with how it works on a basic tripple oscillator patch. Good luck!
djkingpin wrote:I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure what they do exactly. But I can tell U that L and R are definitely referring to the left and right speakers :D I usually spend less time looking for an explanation and just play around with how it works on a basic tripple oscillator patch. Good luck!
Yeah. That's what I do too. I normally try and play around things out myself too.
But I was curious to see if there was any "Special Trick," to make something awesome, that few Lmms users new about. :)
I had a suspicion that the L and R was for Left and Right speakers. But because my notebooks speakers are "automatically on 3D surround sound," sometimes it's difficult to hear or tell which speaker it's coming out from. :shock:

And headphones are a bad idea when playing around sometimes.
Because, if I turn too much of the "wrong dial or effect," my ears will be doing the "Ring a Bell, Hibby Jibbies dance!" OUCH!! :lol:
"Special Trick," to make something awesome,
and it is :p
-well fineDetune is bread and butter for string-instruments (saws espsecially), but PO & SPD are more subtle.
when you play with FM modulation, you will 99% of the time get ..noice
-and not a nice kind. Then start to manipulate those knobs. It is in no way a done deal, but often you willl get something interesting (after a lot of T&E). I call those settings for 'sweetsports', and often they will spread over the span, in precise semitone distance

br.
Yay! Thanks again musikbear. That's all I needed to hear.
Phase offset:
Theta here would be the phase offset between these two waves. They have the same shape, the same frequency, but "start" at different locations.
Usually a number between 0 and 2*pi (although maybe LMMS normalized this to 0-1).

Fine detuning: You said you understood coarse detuning, this is the same thing but only instead of changing half-tone steps, you change 100ths of half-tone steps.
< 30 or so isn't perceptible as different frequencies and just makes the whole synth sound wider.
Why there's a "left" and a "right" detuning beats me too. I think 3xOsc has two synths, one for left and one for right which it doesn't mix at first, although I'm not sure here.

Stereo phase detuning is basically making one speaker have a slightly different phase offset behind the other, which also makes everything wider and enhances a stereo effect.
Not sure whether you can hear this on laptop speakers though.
Wooah!! This is "Awesomely informative!" :o
Thanks orpheon7. I'll try to get my head around it as soon as possible.

PS: You posted this pic and info, since December 15th 2012. Sorry if I didn't respond sooner. :oops: