4 Dubs - My first LMMS Share

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hi folks !

After a few months discovering great lmms I finally choosed to show you some tracks and get your thoughts.

I hope you like dub music , afaik we are not so many doing this with lmms.
If you don't would you at least try it and telle me what do you "technically" think of my work.

My workflow is some strange as i don't use the sequencer, all tracks are indeed live-recordings of me doing some live-dub on lmms, i program the rhythm and melodies when i get some inspiration then playback the loops and tweak them them live with a midi keyboard and a midimix controller.

Thanks for your listening and comments.

A Bientôt !

So here we go :

The Tracks : https://soundcloud.com/user-301824472/sets/lmms-dub

my soundcloud is : https://soundcloud.com/user-301824472/
Hey Sahaathyva,

I listened to the first track of the playlist, the other tracks will be for tomorrow since it's around midnight here, and I don't want to wake up the whole family.

I'm more "one drop" than "stepper", but I glady admit that I loved the riddim and the way you built the track, except the fade-out ending (I don't like fade-out)

Another thing: I'm not sure that the delay time is well set. It sounds a bit weird to me. I know music is not mathematics, but there is a formula to set the delay time in order to fit the tempo of a track ( dividing 60 by the number of bpm, then using the result as is, or dividing it by 2, or multiplying it by 2 or more). But maybe you decided that rules are made to be broken, and you're right.

Mo

PS: mon pote Inndykhaa te passe le bonjour...
Please don't be shy, I need criticism to improve myself : help me :D
Sahaathyva wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:26 pm
So here we go :

The Tracks : https://soundcloud.com/user-301824472/sets/lmms-dub

my soundcloud is : https://soundcloud.com/user-301824472/
These 4 tunes sound wicked dude. :D

But there are only a few problems I can hear in them.
In all 4 of them, some of the special effects and sounds, seem to play a bit out of sync, with the other melodies and sounds.

Stepper Dub
From 2:13 to 2:31 to 3:10, the snare type sound playing in the background, (the one that kinda sounds like type writer), seems to play a bit out of sync, with the other sounds.

Mad dub - The synth sound in the background, heard from 37 secs to 1:08 secs, and a few other synth sounds that play later on, play a bit out of sync, with the rest of sounds.

Slow Dub - This one is smooth, dude. 8-)

Factory Dub - And this one sounds really good too. Just a few out of sync effect sounds to fix.

These 4 tunes are chill dude. Really good music.
Some of the sounds, in tunes like Stepper Dub, need a tiny bit of brightening and fattening up.
Maybe using one of lmms' many equalizers, or reverb plugins, might help there.

All they need is a few improvements, and they'll sound extra better.
But so far, nice work. :D
1st at all
Thanks for your returns Mo and Brandy!

I will try short answer as I type on my cellphone and don t like to...

Effects especially delays (I mainly use the vintage delay plug) are that way because I wanted them to: I like them weird, off sync or simply call it alive :) because all that music is enough square i love give it a kind of randomness, they are near the 3rd but not exactly, in that way they can be disturbing or maybe surprising.

The fx i m not happy with is the verb; I don't get the sound I want, think it s not bright enough, a bit "drafty" messy, not enough precise or analytics.
Maybe is the freeverb engine incause or certainly is the way I use it, I dont manage to get proper settings as Mo does ;)

For the mad dub may you explain the out of sync sound please? Is this the main sound of the zasfx or the effects? I want to improve this.

What sounds would need emphasis , fatten or bright.

I ask this because thoses dub are not even pre-mastered, it s only the mix I made while programming the Lmms and it ceřtainly needs improvements, I may try to master them with ardour if i can ( mastering is an art and i'm not confident with this art ) or give them to a studio whizard.

Or maybe if you are precise i ll try a remix of the work and rerecord it based on your advices, lets coop .

@mo i keep an hear on your tunes, some great jobs remind me of Tubby the great for somes.

Merci les amis, a bientôt!!!
Hi Sahaathyva,

About the delay settings: I understand your point of view. You may think that the usual settings have been heard and heard again. But with that "out of sync" delay, a bit a the skank disappears ...

(I don't deserve the comparison with Tubby. He is a king, and I'm a dwarf...)
Okay Mo I will give sync delay a try on a future track.

For sure you are not king Tubby, but you somehow have a kind of his spirit in some of your tunes ;)