LMMS not saving preferences on Mac or Windows

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi. I can't even get the most basic sound out of LMMS, as it absolutely refuses to save the preferences on Mac OS or Windows XP, therefore not allowing me to change beyond the dummy sound card.

It tells me a restart is required to make it work, and then forgets the preference every time I restart!

I have tried modifying the preferences a hundred times, modified the permissions on all the folders and even the LMMS app itself to allow read/write permissions...everything, and no luck.

Really a shame, I was hoping this was going to be a really great part of my workflow.

Please advise. I have a project file that I must open and have edited by this weekend. I really don't feel like downloading and installing linux in a virtual machine only to find out that won't work, either.
Well, I am on Linux and I can tell you it works over there, but it should work on windows and mac too.

Are you trying the right settings? I have on Linux the same "problem" as you describe, if lmms can't use the setting I select. then it will ignore me.

I have used lmms on windows 7 and XP, and it worked fine there too.
of mac i know nothing :/
Someone else: Please advice

so
windows
almost sure the issue is sound-devise.
choose SDL, and you should be on .. track :p
I can choose whatever sound card I want, because it requires a restart, and won't save the preferences in between, I'm unable to do anything. As soon as I restart the app, again, this is on Mac *OR* Windows, the preferences are not saved, and therefore I can't choose SDL, it goes right back to dummy.

Nobody has any ideas? This is affected on both a Mac and a PC, surely those versions aren't completely useless? :/
No they're not useless. LMMS 1.1.3 stores settings with no problem on my Windows 7 laptop.

AFAIK the settings are stored in a .lmmsrc.xml file. Try searching for that file (it's in Users/<username> on Win7 but I think it was somewhere else on XP). It seems likely that will be the folder that's having problems. And as it's XML you might even be able to modify it yourself if that's the problem.

Steve
Doesn't work for me either on Windows 8. Refuses to save preferences completely. Not going to install a third OS just to get this thing working, and I lost the cash for working on the project since I couldn't even get LMMS to init properly on three operating systems.

Le sigh. Guess nobody tests this on a Mac.
lostgame wrote: Le sigh. Guess nobody tests this on a Mac.
it is tested, and there are a lot of users who enjoy lmms on mac.

But i would like to focus on windows, where you have win8
'8' is notorious for being weird, but you should be able to find lmms' configuration-file somewhere on the disk, where you have installed windows
Search that disk for the file named
.lmmsrc.xml
Do not delete this file!
(you cant rename it -its a 'dot' file)
Move it to a different folder
Restart lmms
What now should happen, is that you should see this
screen, which is a confirmation of lmms making a new configuration .lmmsrc.xml
Point to the folders where have your various stuff, and you should be back on track.
OBS!!
Very important!
If you look at the paths in the picture, you will notice that there are only used english ISO-characters!
That is extremely important!
If you have any 'weird' characters with for instance 'umlaut' or accents, Often seen in language-specific characters, then you cant save any path!!
Only use characters from the normal english alphabet- So called ISO-characters.
Never use ASCII-chars!

Also read this chapter: https://lmms.io/documentation/LMMS_Settings
Same problem running lmms 1.1.3 64-bit on Windows 8.1
Every time I save settings and restart, the program defaults back to "Dummy (no sound output)" on the audio settings tab. When I select "PortAudio" it has saved my preferences under "Backend" and "Device." But when I restart it goes back to Dummy every time.
Followed directions above from musikbear. No change, except that this time it didn't have my Backend and Device preferences saved when I switched from Dummy to PortAudio. Still reverts back to Dummy on restart.
turdferguson, have you tried the same, but with SDL as device?
I also would like to know, if you could localize the infamous .lmmsrc.xml on your win8.1 installation, and, if you did find it, in which folder you have this file?
Im afraid there is something about win8, and it is not something good, so this may be something that needs special attention
I have the same problem. I am on Windows 10