VST issues

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi there,
I'm running LMMS 1.2.1 on Linux Mint (Ubuntu) 19.

I was using LMMS 1.1.something and loading VSTs would give me back the message: "could not be loaded for some reason." I then went to the homepage and got 1.2.1 and instead the application hangs for a minute or two and nothing happens. Initially I double clicked a VST on the directory view and it told me something to do with Wine was being updated.
I've downloaded a handful of VSTs from different places, but all through sites listed in this forum topic, so I'm pretty sure they should be compatible.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks
LivingPharaoh wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 pm
Hi there
Hi, Welcome to the Forum LivingPharaoh !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
]LMMS 1.2.1 on Linux Mint (Ubuntu) 19.
Load VST 1.2.1 hangs for a minute or two and nothing happens.
How do I go about troubleshooting this?
I use This to test if VST works at all
MDA-Piano http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm
It is very small in size, and you can just copy its dll to your VST-folder. Further its a quite good piano-instrument, so it is a win win

If that works, VST works
If not, theres something wrong, most likely a WINE issue, but please test.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:42 pm
f that works, VST works
If not, theres something wrong, most likely a WINE issue, but please test.
Hello musikbear and thanks for your response,
I had already pro-actively tested MDA Piano and had the same issues.

Shall I go about uninstalling and installing WINE? Is WINE standalone or is it a "plugin" in LMMS? Regardless I will go about trying to fix Wine.
LivingPharaoh wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:59 pm
MDA Piano had the same issues.
Is WINE standalone or is it a "plugin" in LMMS?
WINE is a Linux component. It allows windows programs to run in Linux, so WINE is not associated with LMMS. Anyone that want windows apps in Linux, need WINE. In LMMS the only reason is to use Windows-build-VSTs
Afaik Some Distros comes with WINE, or you get an option to add WINE in the installation. We have a chapter on WINE here:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... _.26_Linux
I believe its still valid for our AppImage, however ONLY for getting WINE! DO use AppImage 1.2.1 after a successful WINE installation.
All i say has a disclaimer on it:
I have never worked with any Linux distro -Ever!
So my tips are 2. hand knowledge -picked up from many sources!
Guus (Gps) is strong in everything regarding Linux, so i will ping him in here too :)
Gps wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:27 am
ping :) Guus am i correct that there is no WINE in the AppImage? It need to installed on its own and for the correct distro through pacman of that distro -right?
Yes you are right, wine needs to be installed separate.

An example, windows programs want a: C:\ drive
One of the things wine does, is making a virtual C:\ drive on Linux, with a windows and a programs folder.

So a programs will "think" they are on windows.

Wine is not a part of Linux though, its better as it to think of it as a program for Linux. An emulator, that fools windows programs into thinking they are on windows.
Gps wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:20 am

An example, windows programs want a: C:\ drive
One of the things wine does, is making a virtual C:\ drive on Linux, with a windows and a programs folder.

So a programs will "think" they are on windows.

Wine is not a part of Linux though, its better as it to think of it as a program for Linux. An emulator, that fools windows programs into thinking they are on windows.
Thanks Gps. That was pretty much as i thought, so
LivingPharaoh wrote: *
You need to get the correct WINE from your pacman, and install that before you install LMMS!
Let us know the outcome :)
Gps wrote:
musikbear wrote: You need to get the correct WINE from your pacman, and install that before you install LMMS!
By the way, my distribution (Mint) which is based on Ubuntu uses "apt-get" and not "pacman", just so you don't confuse people in the future. I believe you're thinking of ArchLinux.

I will update this thread WHEN I find my solution. I'm going to the forums for my distribution and I'll pay somebody to do it for me if I have to, because I've tried every-which-way to install the latest WINE (there are multiple walkthroughs out there) and, frankly, I'm more heartbroken over this than my relationship breakup on Monday lol
Hello

I managed it on my ubuntu studio distro by adding kx studio repo and then install the
lmms-vst-full package.

Before this I uninstalled wine.
LivingPharaoh wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Gps wrote:
musikbear wrote: You need to get the correct WINE from your pacman, and install that before you install LMMS!
By the way, my distribution (Mint) which is based on Ubuntu uses "apt-get" and not "pacman", just so you don't confuse people in the future. I believe you're thinking of ArchLinux.

I will update this thread WHEN I find my solution. I'm going to the forums for my distribution and I'll pay somebody to do it for me if I have to, because I've tried every-which-way to install the latest WINE (there are multiple walkthroughs out there) and, frankly, I'm more heartbroken over this than my relationship breakup on Monday lol
Funny that you're correcting people.....

When Music Bear says pacman, he means package manager. If any Linux user is not smart enough to understand what he means, maybe they should just use windows.
Sahaathyva wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 am
Hello

I managed it on my ubuntu studio distro by adding kx studio repo and then install the
lmms-vst-full package.

Before this I uninstalled wine.
This might work for the topic starter too, mint is also a debian based distro. :)

Maybe mint also has a LMMS vst full.