new lmms user help

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I recently downloaded lmms and i dont have a midi keyboard. when i press my cpu keyboard i am able to hear the notes from whatever instrument i use but how do i record/add/save the notes i play on my keyboard without going to the piano roll. another question i have is how can i shorten the notes when using brass or other long note sounding instruments
kingjofijo wrote:how do i record/add/save the notes i play on my keyboard without going to the piano roll

You have to use the piano roll for synthesizers 99% of the time, but the piano roll is also the answer to your first question! On the upper left hand side of the piano roll, there are four buttons. The first one is play. The second one is a record button (the red circle) that allows you to record notes as you play them with a metronome playing and helping you keep your pace. The third button is another record button (the red circle with the play symbol in it) that does exactly what the other record button does without the metronome playing as you record. If you are wondering, the metronome is only there to help you stay on tempo and it won't be recorded along with the notes that you play. The fourth button is stop.
kingjofijo wrote:how can i shorten the notes when using brass or other long note sounding instruments
That can be easily edited using the evelope functons that can be found in every synthesizer, sampler, and soundfont player in LMMS. I assume that what you are asking is "how can I limit the length of the sound". Without enveloping, a synth or soundfont could technically go on forever. You can find the envelope functions on the second "tab" of every synth and soundfont labeled ENV/LFO. First, click on the small grid labeled envelope so that the current "shape" is lit green. Make sure that the delay and attack settings (the knobs under the grid labeled DEL and ATT) are both at zero. Make sure the sustain setting (labeled SUST) is at one. The hold, decay and release settings (labeled HOLD, DEC, and REL) are yours to play around with. Good luck and have fun! - Kingpin
I Will Be Checking These Tips Out ASAP And Thank You For Taking The Time To Help Out.
No problem! :D Do U have a youtube account or something? http://www.youtube.com/user/ChadtheDJguy?feature=mhee <<Thats my youtube account, so if U subscribe I'll subscribe back :D . I can't wait to hear your music!