ZynAddSubFX Dropping Notes

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi Everyone,

I noticed that when I was using the ZynAddSubFX Synthesizer in LMMS, it drops notes on bars that have a lot of notes in rapid succession. I think it has something to do with preventing the audio from getting behind or something based on CPU Utilization. What I would like to know is if there is an easy way to still be able to play a lot of notes in rapid succession at full speed, and how I should go about doing that. I have included links to what my bar sounds like and what it should sound like. Note that the sample showing what it should sound like is played at half-tempo of the Dropped Notes Sample.

What it sounds like (Dropped Notes): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ciNi-3 ... sp=sharing
What it should sound like (at half speed so notes do not drop): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qqPkW ... 7vU0y3U4Ed
Nesdood007 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:19 am
Hi Everyone,

ZynAddSubFX : drops notes on bars that have a lot of notes in rapid succession.
strange .. i need to see the project
upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it. If you do not care about copyright, you can upload the project right here, as an attachment, that everyone can see..

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights

Also
please post your:
* OS (+service-pack-version)
* lmms version
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* Latency setting
* lmms sound device chosen
Here is my project File: https://lmms.io/lsp/?action=show&file=13157

The Track doing this is called "Rave Piano".

I tested this on two machines:

Windows 10:1709 (x64)
Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.4GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Lmms Version 1.1.3

Debian Linux 9.4 Stretch (Kernel 4.9.0-6-amd64)
Intel Pentium G840 (Dual Core) @ 2.8GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
LMMS Version 1.1.3

There was little difference in the amount of dropped notes between both machines.
Latency: 5.8ms
Buffer Frame Size: 256
Windows System: Audio Interface: SDL
Debian System: Audio Interface: PulseAudio

I'm pretty sure it is a problem with ZynAddSubFX.
I may have figured out the issue. In the ZynAddSubFX GUI, under "Edit Instrument" > "ADsynth" > "Amplitude Envelope" I changed the Release Parameter to something shorter, and it stopped dropping new notes, and it also cut down the CPU usage as well. I guess having the note last longer takes more CPU time to process the sound.

Mystery Solved.
Nesdood007 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:02 am
I may have figured out the issue. In the ZynAddSubFX GUI, under "Edit Instrument" > "ADsynth" > "Amplitude Envelope" I changed the Release Parameter to something shorter, and it stopped dropping new notes, and it also cut down the CPU usage as well. I guess having the note last longer takes more CPU time to process the sound.

Mystery Solved.
Wow! That's quite an interesting way to solve that. :)
When you mentioned, Amplitude Envelope and Release Parameter
in your post, then it all started to make sense. :)
Nesdood007 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:02 am
I changed the Release Parameter to something shorter
:
Mystery Solved.
:'D Yes indeed,
I came up with the same. It really not a 'mystery'
The shortness of the notes will actually make the release from several notes 'pile-up', and that will take a load of CPU to process -Its kins of a 'foot-race' The CPU need to solve a tricky one: "Who is first to be serviced",
Currently, lmms is lacking a feature, and that is actually important for users!
When a note has a long release, this release should be 'forgotten' emediately when a new note starts! This is called "cut-yourself" or self-quenching. It is quite important to notice this, because if you have long releases of notes, you will get horrible dissonances when 2 or more long releases clash.
For this reason the best thing is to have short releases, but longer decays, then you can make those notes that need to be faders, longer, but the short notes wont compete with their release, and the CPU will not max-out.

..maby i should add this to wiki...
Does zynaddsubfx not have a retrigger button ?

Some synth have this, and that solves this problem, if I get this right ?
Gps wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm
Does zynaddsubfx not have a retrigger button ?

Some synth have this, and that solves this problem, if I get this right ?
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what exactly is a retrigger button, and what is its function?
I dont know how to explain it well.

Does this help ?
Retrigger such that each new key pressed retriggers the envelope regardless of weather another key is on or not.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... retrigger/