Exporting creates weird low-bitrate effect, lmms 1.2

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello all,

I'm running 1.2 on Win7, have been running most of the RCs before with no issues. Probably since updating to 2.0 I'm getting a weird issue that when exporting, both WAVs and Oggs, all the instruments sound like they come from a low-bitrate synth. Mainly drums and higher frequencies. I haven't changed anything in the project file or the system settings that would warrant this behaviour.

I tried changing between SDL and Portaudio, that didn't change anything. Playback in the programme sounds normal. Just rendering to file seems bad.

I would like to attach a sound file for demonstration, but I guess I'll have to upload it somewhere... In lieu of that... are there any suggestions? What more info do you need for finding the culprit?
So, I've uploaded to GDrive:

Here is the distorted song, which is to be a background track for stage performance:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ywmnm ... Wy5wDFW6y-

(There is something that I weirdly like about this sound, but I would like to be able to do it on purpose, not that LMMS does it for me!)

Here for comparison is an older export, I think it was on RC8: This was a WAV export converted to Ogg for uploading.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xnDkjm ... sp=sharing

I hope someone can help and fix this!

Exporting settings:

To WAV:
32bit float, 48kHz, 2x Oversampling, Sinc Medium, Between Loop markers

To Ogg:
256Kbit VBR, 48kHz, 2x Oversampling, Sinc Medium, Between Loop markers

All these setting have worked perfectly in the past!

One other thing I've done in between those exports, except updating to 1.2 final, was to install SPAN into the VST folder...

*edit* At the moment it appears to only happen on this song... I can export other songs fine. I did add SPAN to the Master bus of the song once, and then removed it again. But now I can't even export older versions of this song without distortion (tried that).

*Edit2* It doesn't just happen on one song. I could export one other song fine, but it happened on another song:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cp4k- ... kU02AAQnCg

It seems mainly the whole B&B stuff seems distorted. The Bass instrument sounds better...
BrainP wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:18 pm
Hello all
Hi, Welcome to the Forum BrainP !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

all the instruments sound like they come from a low-bitrate synth.
I believe its your oversampling. Try re-export without the oversampling. If you have a project you would let me make experiments on, please upload that, and send me the link as PM
musikbear wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi, Welcome to the Forum BrainP !
Thanks!
I believe its your oversampling. Try re-export without the oversampling. If you have a project you would let me make experiments on, please upload that, and send me the link as PM
I always exported with oversampling... it seemed to have benefits in the overall balance of the instruments. But sure enough, I just exported one of the affected tracks without problems without oversampling, and reproducibly with problems using oversampling! :O I'm baffled!

Thanks!!

Anyway I'll think how to get a project to you. I use a lot of free samples, soundfonts and VSTs from around the internet, so I'm not sure what will happen if you don't have those with the project file... It would be cool if one could export with all dependables... do you have a suggestion, there? Short of making my entire LMMS folder available?
BrainP wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:33 pm
It would be cool if one could export with all dependables...
We will make that for later release, not scheduled, but it will come
The test project does not need to be your actual project. Any dummy-project that you cant export with oversampling, will do. I just have to see, if HW differences is involved.
Try one of the demo-songs, and export that with your preferred setting with oversample, and if it fails, you can actuallay just give me the name of project plus a screenshot of your export-settings.
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 pm

We will make that for later release, not scheduled, but it will come
Cool! :)
The test project does not need to be your actual project. Any dummy-project that you cant export with oversampling, will do. I just have to see, if HW differences is involved.
Try one of the demo-songs, and export that with your preferred setting with oversample, and if it fails, you can actuallay just give me the name of project plus a screenshot of your export-settings.
Thanks for your efforts!

OK, I've found out one thing: It seems to only distort B&B tracks. That's why my one project exported fine, which doesn't use B&B for percussion, but rather a piano roll instrument.

I've chosen a project file from the shared projects, it's in the Metal section, called "666", and confirmed that percussion samples are distorted for me when exporting that one!

https://lmms.io/lsp/?action=show&file=10821

export settings are:

Ogg, 48000Hz, 192kBit, Use VBR checked, Sinc Medium, Oversampling 2x

This distorts the percussion samples for me.
BrainP wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am
OK, I've found out one thing: It seems to only distort B&B tracks.
That could very well be that you found this problems reason!
I will try and experiment withe your settings
Thank you!
When you've found the issue, maybe leave the effect in as optional - I kind of like it, actually, it just doesn't fit my music at the moment :D.