Any Advice for Using MIDI in LMMS?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all! I'm struggling a bit because I got a preowned Akai MPK49. It's fun to play melodies and record them, yet I'm not sure how to get the most out of all the dials, knobs and drum pads.

I tried Ableton (free version) and I was ready to flip out a bit because there doesn't seem to be a way to get all the MIDI notes to the same velocity. Adjusting all of them at once keeps them at different velocities, whereas in LMMS it makes them all the same which I absolutely love because the keybed has terrible velocity sensitivity. If I wanted to increase the volume of an entire track I'd just adjust the instrument volume, yet Ableton for some reason does things a silly way in that regard.

One thing I do like about Ableton however is the 'arm button', which I can map to the buttons that light up below the faders and map the volume of each instrument to the faders. It's a lot of fun using the pitch bend and modulation wheels in conjunction with this I find. 🙂

After playing around with Ableton I can see that there are some positive aspects such as better stock plugins yet I cannot stand how complicated it seems. I prefer LMMS because everything appears more hands-on and manual, although (with experience) it may have some cons in comparison. Being that I'm learning as I go this is somewhat a challenge.

Anyway, without getting too much on a tangent, I just want to ask how you might utilize the many features of a MIDI controller in LMMS. Thanks for reading!
Electropocalypse wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:04 am
utilize the many features of a MIDI controller in LMMS.
LMMS can only route MIDI out. It is not possible to make an automation of a HW-KB-controller/ feature.
So in essence, when you sit infront of your Akai MPK49 you should think : I can 'talk' TO LMMS but LMMS cant talk back.

So you can map a LMMS feature to your HW-KB-controller, like f.i. PITCH-dial to the HW-mod-wheel, but its still a bit complicated and i only have a really old guide that worked years ago Also i dont have a HW-KB, so i cant test if its ok. No doubt the success also depends on what KB is being used..

But you do not want to map that way at all afai can understand(?)

..Anywitch this is how-
connecting LMMS-features to a keyboard is:
Find the knob you want the Mod Wheel to control (filter freq could be a RL example)
Right click on the knob and a list will pop up.
In the list select "Connect to controller", a "Connection Settings" box will pop up.
Make sure MIDI controller and Auto Detect are lit up, then just move the Mod Wheel on your keyboard!
Often it will show as ch1, controller 2
Click OK and the mod wheel should now control the knob you selected.
you can set up any other knob/slider control on a MIDI keyboard controller the same way. It just sets it up as a different controller (CC) number.
Electropocalypse wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:04 am
Hi all! I'm struggling a bit because I got a preowned Akai MPK49. It's fun to play melodies and record them, yet I'm not sure how to get the most out of all the dials, knobs and drum pads.

I tried Ableton (free version) and I was ready to flip out a bit because there doesn't seem to be a way to get all the MIDI notes to the same velocity. Adjusting all of them at once keeps them at different velocities, whereas in LMMS it makes them all the same which I absolutely love because the keybed has terrible velocity sensitivity. If I wanted to increase the volume of an entire track I'd just adjust the instrument volume, yet Ableton for some reason does things a silly way in that regard.

One thing I do like about Ableton however is the 'arm button', which I can map to the buttons that light up below the faders and map the volume of each instrument to the faders. It's a lot of fun using the pitch bend and modulation wheels in conjunction with this I find. 🙂

After playing around with Ableton I can see that there are some positive aspects such as better stock plugins yet I cannot stand how complicated it seems. I prefer LMMS because everything appears more hands-on and manual, although (with experience) it may have some cons in comparison. Being that I'm learning as I go this is somewhat a challenge.

Anyway, without getting too much on a tangent, I just want to ask how you might utilize the many features of a MIDI controller in LMMS. Thanks for reading!
I also like using LMMS because it is quite convenient and easier than other software.