Best of LMMS Vol. 6

Discuss the latest LMMS news with other forum members.
NL TECHNO wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 am
Why is it taking so long, does anybody know when the results will be there ?

Greets
NL Techno
Follow facebook link that was posted earlier on this page of this thread, results are out on facebook.
I try and be as sportsmanlike as possible, but there must be change. I've worked countlessly on my entry, perfecting it in every way I saw fit. My heart sank when I realized that I sent in the wrong file (the soundcloud release is the raw version) and I was distraught. Seeing the results only confirmed my mistake. Although I didn't make it to the album, I am concerned with the way the judging process went down. On the spreadsheet, it does not tell you at all why your piece got what it did. It looks like they didn't even review it, because the placements that I got line up almost exactly with how we entered the competition. If you were to only take the first 55 people to the finals again, limit the competition to those people, because an element of this contest is 'flawed' in a way. Last year, the result spreadsheet were amazing. It gave you a complete rundown of why your piece scored what it did, and motivates you to work on those problems (i.e myself). This year, the spreadsheet tells you if each judge approved or disapproved your song, which doesn't allow me to work on what potentially went wrong. This is what drives people away if they lose, and back if they win, which I fear is happening now.

If any competent judges will consider telling me why my piece got what it did (126, worse than last year), it would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR Solaris just complains in the nicest way possible.

Also, if it is possible, post the results on this forum, because now the lizards running Facebook know everything about me ;)
Hahahahah :D :D :D What a joke.....
man i switched from LMMS to Steinberg Cubase last week
You cannot make good music with LMMS,

it just sucks and always hanging pfff hihihi :D :D :D
This is the direct link for those who don't want to use Facebook: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... o/htmlview
NL TECHNO wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:16 pm
Hahahahah :D :D :D What a joke.....
man i switched from LMMS to Steinberg Cubase last week
You cannot make good music with LMMS,

it just sucks and always hanging pfff hihihi :D :D :D
May i respond to your comment above?

I am just beginning to use LMMS and didn't come anywhere in the competition, that does not mean LMMS is not capable of making good music.

I had a copy of Cubase going way back when Windows XP was just out, it was more limited in functionality than LMMS is now by far, but could still make great sounding tracks.

If you cannot achieve a good sounding track with LMMS, what makes you think it will fall into your hands with another DAW?

The way i see it, the DAW is simply a tool for arranging, organising, mixing and mastering, the real skill is with the artist to select the correct sounds, instruments, VST's, alter them, arrange them, adjust them etc etc and come up with a great track.

A different DAW may have easier user friendly functions, but they are not going to make the music for you.

The other thing i note from your post is that it keeps hanging on you, that must be your own hardware issue, i have it installed on PC and Laptop, both 64bit windows 10 OS, never hung once on me.

This was a free to enter competition, no prize on offer, of tracks made with free software, even if i had come in dead last i wouldn't be pi**ed off about it, it is what it is.

Thanks for LMMS, thanks for the competition, thanks for the people taking their time to run it and collate everything, i will be back next year.
Solaris wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:51 pm
I try and be as sportsmanlike as possible, but there must be change. I've worked countlessly on my entry, perfecting it in every way I saw fit. My heart sank when I realized that I sent in the wrong file (the soundcloud release is the raw version) and I was distraught. Seeing the results only confirmed my mistake. Although I didn't make it to the album, I am concerned with the way the judging process went down. On the spreadsheet, it does not tell you at all why your piece got what it did. It looks like they didn't even review it, because the placements that I got line up almost exactly with how we entered the competition. If you were to only take the first 55 people to the finals again, limit the competition to those people, because an element of this contest is 'flawed' in a way. Last year, the result spreadsheet were amazing. It gave you a complete rundown of why your piece scored what it did, and motivates you to work on those problems (i.e myself). This year, the spreadsheet tells you if each judge approved or disapproved your song, which doesn't allow me to work on what potentially went wrong. This is what drives people away if they lose, and back if they win, which I fear is happening now.

If any competent judges will consider telling me why my piece got what it did (126, worse than last year), it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it is possible, post the results on this forum, because now the lizards running Facebook know everything about me ;)
I have several thoughts about this.

1. Why didn't you contact a judge about the links thing? Or at least resubmit the proper link? If you had submitted to, we'd have contacted you to figure out which one you wanted in the competition.

2. The preliminaries was to reduce the strain on the judges. You gotta bear in mind we had to review well over a hundred songs in a limited amount of time and where we could fit it into our daily lives. I don't think you can fully comprehend the amount of hell working a fulltime job while also maintaining a fulltime student status in college/university is for me, and I'm sure the other judges have their own reasons behind why theyre busy. Stakeout Punch put it best in the discord server by saying this about BoL5:

Last year was the only year (I don't count BoL2) that did not have preliminaries. It placed a lot of extra strain on the judges to get all the scoring done in time.

3. If you want a score so bad, why don't you ask a judge to either give you their score or ask the judges as a group to do so?

Bearing that in mind and as one of the judges this year, the scores I would have given you for Tokyo (Redux) as it was submitted follows as such:
Sound Design: 2/5
Mixing: 2/5
Composition: 3/5

I'll leave more detailed feedback over on your soundcloud when I have more time to type it out.
i ended up missing the entry date. congrats to all the bol winners tho
Congratulations to all the winners!
woodsōl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 pm
Solaris wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:51 pm

I have several thoughts about this.

1. Why didn't you contact a judge about the links thing? Or at least resubmit the proper link? If you had submitted to, we'd have contacted you to figure out which one you wanted in the competition.

2. The preliminaries was to reduce the strain on the judges. You gotta bear in mind we had to review well over a hundred songs in a limited amount of time and where we could fit it into our daily lives. I don't think you can fully comprehend the amount of hell working a fulltime job while also maintaining a fulltime student status in college/university is for me, and I'm sure the other judges have their own reasons behind why theyre busy. Stakeout Punch put it best in the discord server by saying this about BoL5:

Last year was the only year (I don't count BoL2) that did not have preliminaries. It placed a lot of extra strain on the judges to get all the scoring done in time.

3. If you want a score so bad, why don't you ask a judge to either give you their score or ask the judges as a group to do so?

Bearing that in mind and as one of the judges this year, the scores I would have given you for Tokyo (Redux) as it was submitted follows as such:
Sound Design: 2/5
Mixing: 2/5
Composition: 3/5

I'll leave more detailed feedback over on your soundcloud when I have more time to type it out.
Well that certainly explains it. When I submitted my entry, my computer had just broke, so i was unable to refine it. Should've expected the ranking that i got. I'd like to know my score as well, but that would just be piggybacking off of Solaris.