Import MIDI drums track

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

There are two things that would make MIDI import easier in lmms - I think -:
-When the events of a drum track are really short (1 tick), they are not imported at all (sound like a abug though)
-Since almost all MIDI files - the ones I deal with at least - have their drum track on chanel 10, would it be possible to put it directly on bank 128 of the SF2 player when importing? Or make it a configuration option, at least?

Some ideas I had when using lmms intensively :idea:
You mean LMMS doesn't import all the notes correctly, skips them?

Why would we automatically put it on bank 128 in a sf2-file because the FX-channel 10 is used? Then we would get another sound? 128 is the sound of gunshot or something in most sf2-files?
Thanks for replying!

First, that's true: LMMS does not import a MIDI track on which notes are bellow 2 ticks.
The track does not show anywhere (and does not make sound either).

Second, I do not speak about patch number (yes patch 128 is gun shot) but about track number vs SF2 bank 128 which is 'Standard drum track'. If, when importing a MIDI file, the track 10 was set to use SF2 player Bank 128, the drum track would sound as drums, not as piano on bank 0 :D
This as the effect that you can not import a MIDI file and listen to it right immediately as it should. You have to find which track is the drums track and edit the setting to route it to the bank 128 of SF2 to make it sound as drums. Not lethal but annoying when you want to ear what a MIDI piece sounds like before you decide to discard or beautify it...
Id just like to say for anyone who cant find where to change this "Patch" (like me 5 mins ago) you can find it by opening the settings for your Midi Track under Plug in options :D

Attachments

Adrianeta wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 am
Id just like to say for anyone who cant find where to change this "Patch" you can find it by opening the settings for your Midi Track under Plug in options
Oh yes, true, and i can tell you that lmms now has no problems importing midi, and that you can read more about SF2 and much more in the wiki, that i link to below. Besides that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum Adrianeta ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480