Audio ---> MIDI conversion feature (for piano roll, maybe?)

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

It would be awesome if we could play or import audio files into LMMS and have the data fill in on the piano roll. This would open up several new worlds of opportunity for our music-making and creativity.
If i understand you correctly, you want to import a piece of wave-data, and have that complex sound-wave-pattern split into destinct midi tracks of percussion, lead, pads.. oso? that would indeed be awesome, and a world first sensation -on top of the awesome -It is absolutely impossible. :p
You can find proggies that claims to be able to perform mp32midi, but listen to the output- It sounds terrible. A wave-pattern is simply to complex, to be 'splitable' -You can turn pure sine wave sounds (beeps) into clean midi-data, and that works quite well, but thats the limit. Complex wave-data will be absurdly difficult to process, so the closer a input file represent pure destinct beep sounds, the better the conversion.
-btw - be careful with those dodgy mp32midi. It is often scamware, and has vira and malware embedded!
musikbear wrote:It is absolutely impossible. :p
To some extent, or should I say most times impossible, yes. If you had only one instrument playing a simple wave and with zero attack and decay, you could make it work like 100% of the times. If you have more than that... It can not be done perfect automatically by a computer the next fifty years I can guarantee, unless artificial intelligence comes first :)
I guess that's why we call it a WISH list....

Maybe we won't have to wait 50 years for the necessary tech advances --- after all, according to "Back to the Future", we're going to have flying cars in 2015 (which is less than a month from now).

:)
In order for Audio->MIDI conversion to be possible you need to have each instrument on their own track. Furthermore, it works best for monophonic tracks, ie. no chords. So not just one channel per instrument, but a channel per each voice of each instrument. Then it works, just a matter of spectrum analysis and detecting the peak fundamentals.

Some guitars have "hexaphonic" microphones for this purpose - they pick up each string on their own channel so they'll be able to convert the input to MIDI commands, so you can use your guitar as a MIDI controller...

If your idea is to take a random mp3 song you downloaded somewhere and convert it directly to MIDI, sorry, that's not going to happen on this century.