Automation track improvements

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Things I'd like to be able to do with the automation track:
  1. Event recording: This means that you can record the actions applied on any dial or slider into the automation track that it is associated with. There would be a feature like an "arm recording" button attached to automation tracks. So if you were playing or looping a track and had event recording turned on for that automation track, any live adjustments made to the associated dial would go right in there without guesswork. Both the software interface and/or MIDI inputs should be equally usable for doing this.
  2. Alternate vector mode: Instead a raster-like automation track, you'd have control points with bezier handles. Most people should be familiar with how such things work in 2D graphics apps. (Think of the pen tool in: GIMP, Inkscape, PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc.) It would be very easy and fast visual way to create and smoothly control transitions that occur in within the automation track. Also there should be a way to convert the raster-like tracks to the vector format. (I'm not too concerned if conversion is a one-way op, it would still be useful.)
  3. Ability to control more dials and controls in plugins concerning effects and external synthesizers: There are things I'd like to do with VSTs that I can't right now, because those controls cannot be attached to an automation track in LMMS.
  4. Visibility controls and attaching as a child in the song editor: An option to attach an automation track onto a songtrack as a child object. This along with visibility toggles would keep these things more organized. There should also be a way to group FX and Global automation tracks together as well and toggle their visibility on the song editor, even though they wouldn't attach to a specific instrument or song track. (As it is now, there are some "global" automation tracks that can be accessed by right clicking on certain parameters, but they aren't viewable in the song editor like the others. There should be an option to make them visible.)
Note: These things may have been posted already. But I think they need to be lumped together since they're all aspects that would greatly enhance the usefulness of automation tracks.
Just want to say I second the motion. Hate to bump, but I figure it's better than creating my own thread for the same thing. ;)
I third this. Especially the first two suggestions.
So VST automation is actually becoming a reality now. There is a thread about it over here: https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/for ... lmms-devel I got this patch, and can say it definitely works. Sounds like it might even be integrated into the next version of LMMS.
neee.. afaik the patch is for loading internals instrument-presets, specifically for loading VST presets of types fxp, fxb, but that is also a super improvement!
it wont however automate anything from vst's.

Vector automation envelopes is in my opignion the most important feature, and i will definately wote that up too. In fact an option to load a plain text-file with vector data would be better than the raster-envelopes.

Br.
Though vector envelopes is necessary, I'd almost give automation recording a priority.
Currently the only way to do it is to modify it live and record in something else (like audacity), which kind of sucks.

*Signed*
Is event recording available now? I have midi controller but don't know whether I can use it in automation track recording.
rossbox wrote:Is event recording available now? I have midi controller but don't know whether I can use it in automation track recording.
No, sadly.
Too bad I'm awful programmer. It's very sad feeling when somebody wants to help but can't.
rossbox wrote:Too bad I'm awful programmer. It's very sad feeling when somebody wants to help but can't.
I know that feel :/