Slicer / Graphic / EQ

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I really love the idea of free software. This is why I started working on Linux. And couse I started working on Linux, I started working on LMMS. But there are some things that I really think that can help making music easier.

1. I don't know how it works with other Linux distros, I'm using Ubuntu Studio for LMMS (couse I had big problems with some instruments on Slackware which is my main system) but here I really hate working with EQ. I don't have a GUI on any effect. I got only some knobs and don't see the wave, which is very helpful thing when You're working with Equalization. It's really easy to use equalizer in FL Studio (EQ 2) or Ableton (EQ Eight) where You can work with wave and You not only hear but also see what You're doing with sound.

2. I can't find any useful plugin for sampling. In FL Studio it is Slicer and it's awesome (auto-slicing hehe). In Ableton - Drum Rack (it's great for manual sampling and cropping but You can also use "Slice to midi" on audio). You should add something like that.

3. VST!!!! There really should be option to put your own VSTs! It's so fu***ng important thing! You really can do A LOT things with stuff You got on board now, but this one option - using Your own VSTs - will make LMMS strong like a monster. From all DAWs only one - Reason - have enough and really great instruments on board (maybe Ableton but here couse of really easy to connecting a lot of effects to the instruments, and they got really cool-sounding effects).

4. Limiter with graphic signal meter - same reason like in EQ. Great Limiter You can find in Ableton - it's easy and simple as fu*k, but great.

5. Maybe it is somewhere but I didn't find it yet. Copying, moving & duplicate one, two or what You want in Song Editor. I cancopy but only on one track in one moment. Editing song in Ableton here is the best - shortcut like CTRL+D (duplicate), CTRL+C & CTRL+V where You want, fast copying and moving parts with CTRL button etc. Try and see how easy is editing arrangment of song in Live.

But it's still great software and I love it, so today I will show my second track made in LMMS and show how it can work even without these three things ;) I will try this software more and then I will write what else can be better.
slackatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 am
3. VST!!!! There really should be option to put your own VSTs! It's so fu***ng important thing! You really can do A LOT things with stuff You got on board now, but this one option - using Your own VSTs - will make LMMS strong like a monster. From all DAWs only one - Reason - have enough and really great instruments on board (maybe Ableton but here couse of really easy to connecting a lot of effects to the instruments, and they got really cool-sounding effects).
VeSTige is not present in Linux version?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 am
slackatraz wrote:
I don't have it...
Wel, wait for Musikbear ...
slackatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 am
slackatraz wrote:
I don't have it...
I use Debian Linux, but I should still be able to help.

First step is to uninstall LMMS.

Next, is to get LMMS from the KXStudio Repository (look it up). You *might* (maybe, maybe not) have to install something called "lmms-vst-full" once you get that repository. If apt-get says it does not exist, then you probably don't need it.

Then, you should have VeSTige. After that, as long as Wine is working, you should be able to use *most* VSTs. Be sure to try 32bit VST versions as well, as in my case I cannot run 64bit versions for unknown reasons despite running a 64bit OS. Synth1 is the recommended VST for testing whether VeSTige is working.

If after all of this Wine still is not working and LMMS gives you an error message when you try loading a VST, tell me. It literally took me TWO FREAKING YEARS to get that working, but I finally figured it out, so I can help you out. Ubuntu users tend to have much more success than Debian users with this, so you will probably be fine. :)