New type of Controller that can be useful for mixing

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

So... I'll explain this with a hypothetical scenario.

Say you have a really big DnB song, filled to the top with instruments. Now say you want to add a cowbell.

How would you do this?

Well, a cowbell is a small instrument, so just throwing it in there would make it so that nobody would be able to hear it. So, you EQ it in. Since cowbells have narrow frequency ranges, you can easily create a very narrow notch with EQ in all other instruments, and that cowbell will shine through perfectly.

Well, what if you want to have the cowbell play different notes?

That's a problem, because the frequency of the cowbell will change. Automating the notch frequency for EVERY NOTE of that cowbell is a pain!

So, here's my strange idea. How about we have a controller that analyzes the frequencies of the sound it was placed on, and return the peak frequency? Then, we can use Calf EQ or something, set the Gain and Q to appropriate values, then attach the frequency knob to the new controller!

This isn't only useful for cowbells, but for many things, very especially sounds with a narrower frequency range. I think it has the potential to increase the quality of our mixes, not to mention making it much easier in some cases.

Though I can program, I don't have the slightest clue how programming effects work. But, since we already have the Spectrum Analyzer, I'm assuming programming a controller like this shouldn't be too hard, right? Maybe?

Welp, there's my idea. What do you think? :)
Douglas wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:29 am
So... I'll explain this with a hypothetical scenario.

Say you have a really big DnB song, filled to the top with instruments. Now say you want to add a cowbell.

How would you do this?

Well, a cowbell is a small instrument, so just throwing it in there would make it so that nobody would be able to hear it. So, you EQ it in. Since cowbells have narrow frequency ranges, you can easily create a very narrow notch with EQ in all other instruments, and that cowbell will shine through perfectly.

Well, what if you want to have the cowbell play different notes?

That's a problem, because the frequency of the cowbell will change. Automating the notch frequency for EVERY NOTE of that cowbell is a pain!

So, here's my strange idea. How about we have a controller that analyzes the frequencies of the sound it was placed on, and return the peak frequency? Then, we can use Calf EQ or something, set the Gain and Q to appropriate values, then attach the frequency knob to the new controller!

This isn't only useful for cowbells, but for many things, very especially sounds with a narrower frequency range. I think it has the potential to increase the quality of our mixes, not to mention making it much easier in some cases.

Though I can program, I don't have the slightest clue how programming effects work. But, since we already have the Spectrum Analyzer, I'm assuming programming a controller like this shouldn't be too hard, right? Maybe?

Welp, there's my idea. What do you think? :)
This would be incredibly useful, and could be used to create all sorts of neat sounds as well as the scenario you described. I'd be psyched if this were implemented.
Dudeguy21 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 am
This would be incredibly useful, and could be used to create all sorts of neat sounds as well as the scenario you described. I'd be psyched if this were implemented.
Do you think that if we flooded this thread with lots of posts, it would get more attention? :lol:
Something like a cutoff Key Follow ?

It would be good. But I guess this has to be implemented in the synth itself (so in all synths).
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:29 am

It would be good. But I guess this has to be implemented in the synth itself (so in all synths).
No, it doesn't have to. We can already make a Spectrum Analyzer, so we should be able to analyze the frequencies of a sound, and pick out which one is the loudest. Exactly the same way how the Peak Controller analyzed the volume of an entire instrument. :D
Douglas wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 pm
D.Ipsum wrote:

No, it doesn't have to. We can already make a Spectrum Analyzer, so we should be able to analyze the frequencies of a sound, and pick out which one is the loudest. Exactly the same way how the Peak Controller analyzed the volume of an entire instrument. :D
OK, something like a new plugin that would appear in the effects rack, and to which we could connect the cutoff of a filter (whether it's the flter built into the synth, or the filters we can add as FX)?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 am
Douglas wrote:
D.Ipsum wrote:

OK, something like a new plugin that would appear in the effects rack, and to which we could connect the cutoff of a filter (whether it's the flter built into the synth, or the filters we can add as FX)?
Any knob. I guess the filter cutoff would be included, though that wouldn't be particularly useful unless perhaps you used the Notch filter. I'm thinking for EQs, because then you could put an EQ cut in everything at the frequency of another instrument. Makes mixing easy for many instruments.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Douglas wrote:
D.Ipsum wrote:

Can you explain more?
tribobo1993 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 am
D.Ipsum wrote:
Douglas wrote:

Can you explain more?
Hi, and welcome!

I hesitate, are you addressing me or Douglas?

If I understand correctly, Douglas suggests the implementation of a plugin that allows the value of any parameter (e.g. the cutoff frequency of a filter) to automatically follow the note played (rather than having to modify manually this value via an automation track). Specifically, this plugin would analyze the input frequency content (as the LMMS Analyzer would do), and it would rely on frequency peaks to modify the parameter values.

On a sawtooth waveform, it would be the fundamental frequency that would serve as a reference value (since the frequency peak is located on this fundamental frequency).
But if you apply a band-pass filter with a high Q on this sawtooth signal, the peak frequency could be anywhere on the spectrum, it would be the frequency determined by this band-pass which would serve as a value of reference.

From there, I imagine that this plugin could open via the channel rack, and it would be used in a similar way to the LFO Controller and the Peak Controller.

(I hope it make sense ...)

It's been a while since Douglas didn't write on the forum ...