Useful new export setting

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

So... I'm a video game programmer, and I use LMMS to make the music for the games I make.

Oftentimes in video games, there's a song that is being repeated over and over again in the background.

Now, there is already an export setting for loops, and it cuts off the end silence. But, there is a problem with that.

It cuts off all reverb/delay as well. As soon as the track repeats, there's a very obvious looping point. What if I want to keep my reverb going, and have a seamless, uninterrupted loop?

The solution is actually quite simple (I think). Have an option to have the song play once before it actually starts exporting. That will capture any reverb/delay that is at the end of the song.

Of course, it doesn't have to play the entire song. Just starting eight measures from the end would probably be just fine.

It's a simple feature, but it's incredibly useful for game producers like me! ;)
In the meantime, you can place an empty pattern of BBEditor at the end of the track (by adjusting its length of course). It works.
Douglas wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:35 pm
So... I'm a video game programmer
Interesting - links?
Have an option to have the song play once before it actually starts exporting. That will capture any reverb/delay that is at the end of the song.
:'P ..how about marking up the end part in audacity, and copying it up infront of the track, actually resulting in what you ask for?
Sorry, but this is so special, that a feature is unrealistic, especially because you can solve it as simple as i describe, and the benefit is that you can find the exact correct loop, but with your request, you would still have a t&e situation, no -This is exactly what programs like audacity is meant for
musikbear wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm
Douglas wrote:
Interesting - links?
Have an option to have the song play once before it actually starts exporting. That will capture any reverb/delay that is at the end of the song.
:'P ..how about marking up the end part in audacity, and copying it up infront of the track, actually resulting in what you ask for?
Sorry, but this is so special, that a feature is unrealistic, especially because you can solve it as simple as i describe, and the benefit is that you can find the exact correct loop, but with your request, you would still have a t&e situation, no -This is exactly what programs like audacity is meant for
But I have over 100 songs intended to go in the soundtrack... :cry:

Actually, I wonder if I can use Audacity chains to automate the process...

I have to admit, I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of Audacity before... :lol:

And no, I don't have any links to information about my game. Even though I've been working on it for the past eight years, I'm pretty sure it'll take another ten years to finish completely, simply because it is so ridiculously massive. It's a bit too early to get people hyped up about it. :)
musikbear wrote:
Douglas wrote:
Interesting - links?
Maybe (I do not know) the proposed solution is not realistic (if that's the solution you find unrealistic), but the "problem" is there: if you finish a track with a long reverberated sound, this reverb will be cut during the export (unless you adopt a solution such as the one I propose above). You can check on Audacity (that the reverb tail is cut off) using the spectral representation of the track.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 am
musikbear wrote:
Douglas wrote:
Interesting - links?
Maybe (I do not know) the proposed solution is not realistic (if that's the solution you find unrealistic), but the "problem" is there: if you finish a track with a long reverberated sound, this reverb will be cut during the export (unless you adopt a solution such as the one I propose above). You can check on Audacity (that the reverb tail is cut off) using the spectral representation of the track.
If you add some muted clips after the song ends, the song will export the entire thing, even if the end is just silence.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/3830

The first suggestion in the issue above (close to this suggestion) should replace the current option "Remove end silence".

The current option "Remove end silence" doesn't do what it's name describes, and should be called "Remove extra bar" (an extra bar added automatically for delay/reverb to end), because that is what it actually does.