Better Wacom/graphic tablet support

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I just installed LMMS and can barely use it. One of the things that bug me is how it cannot properly be controlled with the pen of a graphic tablet. When I try to adjust the BPM or a knob of the Kicker bassdrum plugin, the values shoot up and down. Impossible to do finetuning.

Can this be fixed?
Sueper wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 pm
Can this be fixed?
No
Look, a DAW is not supposed to work with a tool for graphic design.
You literary using a screwdriver as a hammer.
There is no valid reason at all for lmms to support a wacom tablet interfase, it is simply not meant to be used for a DAW. It is meant for photoshop and as like.
If you think you have a usecase where a tablet is the only solution, then present that.
Besides that, since you are new here-
Welcome to the forum Sueper ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :) You also learn how to post pictures, and how to use quotes correctly.
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
musikbear wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:46 pm
Sueper wrote:
Can this be fixed?
No
Look, a DAW is not supposed to work with a tool for graphic design.
A lot of people use tablets as a mouse replacement.
musikbear wrote:
You literary using a screwdriver as a hammer.
He is literally using a pointing device as a pointing device.
musikbear wrote:
There is no valid reason at all for lmms to support a wacom tablet interfase, it is simply not meant to be used for a DAW. It is meant for photoshop and as like.
I notice that LMMS supports a touchpad, which is a dumbed down tablet like pointing interface. I suggest that LMMS should remove touchpad support as it's simply not meant to be used for a DAW.
musikbear wrote:
If you think you have a usecase where a tablet is the only solution, then present that.
There are people in the world who can not, for reason of RSI, touch a mouse. They are literally incapable of holding a mouse without great deal of pain. Which does not occur while holding a pen.

Your response has obviously irked me. Please think your kneejerk arguments trough before you present them next time.

-----

Now that musikbear has been dealt with, dear Sueper, I too have realised that I can not use my preferred pointing device with LMMS and using it with a mouse seems imprecise and slow.

I think that the Wacom driver is sending a different type of signal opposed to the touchpad driver. I tried to configure it, but none of the driver options seems to have helped. I think that the tablet device sends the scroll offset even when the pen is not moving. Not sure about the specific details about the implementation of the driver, but I am gonna have a look at the input processing. If it's as simple as I think it might be, it should be only a few lines somewhere in the codebase.
musikbear wrote:
Sueper wrote:
Can this be fixed?
No
It took me like 40 minutes to fix this bug https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/pull/4376 not knowing much about Qt and nothing about LMMS code base and tablet input handling.

Next time when an user reports strange behaviour in an app, don't just shoot them down and ridicule their use case and intelligence.

What you should have done is ask for more information and ask the maintainers how hard would it be to implement and or fix. Hint, it wasn't that hard...
Meltea wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:26 am
If it's as simple as I think it might be, it should be only a few lines somewhere in the codebase.
The project need coders!
Do create a repository, and do present your tablet solution.
You can read all about participating and how to get your own repository, the methods for creating and submitting patches and the Master commits, Here:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki