Beat/Bassline -> Intrument/Pattern separation

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hello, i am playing around with lmms a bit (what an awesome software, i was looking for something like that for linux for quite some time, really glad, that you putting effort into this) and found some quirks, that could be improved, so without further chitchat, down to the topic :D

About Beat/Bassline: when you add new beat/bassline, you always create new song track, which shares same instruments already existing in global beat/bassline pool. Currently, that track can be programmed only with one pattern. If you want make slight alteration of that pattern, you have to duplicate whole track, create another instance of that beat/bassline track, create alteration in clone and sequence that. It would be more convenient to have possibility to approach beat/bassline tracks in song mode like instruments, with different patterns. So you would have possibility to feed instruments with different pattern sequences in same beat/bassline track. When adding another beat/bassline track, it would serve like another pool of 'instruments'.

Example: lets say, that i would like to have Beat/bassline track for main percussions, and have different intro pattern, different verse pattern and different chorus. Currently to do so i would need two additional clone tracks to sequence that. with pattern sequencing, i could use only first one... this would help reduce clutter in track organisation.
+1

Yes, a BBEditor track that can accommodate different patterns would be fine!
WZRD wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm
Hello, i am playing around with lmms a bit
Hi, Welcome to the forum WZRD !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
It would be more convenient to have possibility to approach beat/bassline tracks in song mode like instruments, with different patterns. So you would have possibility to feed instruments with different pattern sequences in same beat/bassline track. When adding another beat/bassline track, it would serve like another pool of 'instruments'.
True, but not simple to implement in current architecture.
There are however thoughts about revamping B&B, but it would be to the cost of backward comparability 8/ *autch*
Imho that should not happen before a new architecture is on the clock.. (maby..)
In case in which by backward compatibility is meant ability to open files saved from previous versions it could be implemented as another function, another form of container, lets name it for example beat rack. current BB could stay as is, but its advanced version would coexist as BR. Those BR could have its independent volume knob, act like a group of instruments within an instrument and sequencing could be done across whole song independently (in "piano roll chunks" manner).

Another approach would be BB tracks folding into one lane. This would not allow for as much possibilities as BR, but it could be fully backward compatible. (as those would just unfold in older versions as it is now)