Piano roll & Sampler Grace in Windows w. RC6

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Roxas wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 pm
We can finally say LMMS has a sampler! pepeeeeh
Great!

Gps wrote: I am on Linux :: Vestige does not load exe files ?
..ahh c***
Roxas wrote: it won't work on linux or mac.
So bottomline, a sampler for windows..
Oh well i will update the wiki info, so it reflects the current state, but i also believe i saw something about a linux-only-sampler - @GPS -diddent you write something about that? - or did it fail on 5 point
It could be this?

http://linuxsampler.org/screenshots.html

Also i will try out TX16WX Sampler, that will work on linux with wine if it pass the 5 points.
There's also this, but it's windows only again, and there's already Grace

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
musikbear wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Gps wrote: I am on Linux :: Vestige does not load exe files ?

- @GPS -diddent you write something about that? - or did it fail on 5 point
I do not know of a sampler for Linux, might try the one mentioned in this topic.

I tried to install the exe file, but that gave me an error.

Usual vst with exe files don't work on Linux. Synth 1 is the exception to the rule ?
Gps wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am
I tried to install the exe file, but that gave me an error.
So the one named 'linuxsampler' does not work in linux ... 80
Only word i can find for that is: Dumb
Usual vst with exe files don't work on Linux. Synth 1 is the exception to the rule ?
Could it bee, that if you run the exe on a win pc, it will actually unpack to a new folder with a real dll, and that dll could be used in linux?
Many clowns (sorry) feel that their proggies looks more 'professional' if the comes as either an installer, exe, or a msi -But in fact there is only one binary-file, that just 'unpacks' in a folder-structure.
If you can, try to run the exe' on a win-pc, and see if a dll is being unpacked. Rarely there is some artwork being unpacked too, and really annoying, that can be done in a C: library. One such annoyer is podolski, that one makes a library in your Documents-folder (.... I h a t e that....... :€
I did not yet try the linux sampler.

It was the grace one that comes with an exe file. I was already using google how to unpack it. But had not luck yet.

I remember I ones had software so I could look in an exe file. I might try it again, what I tried was running the windows installer, and then I changed the vst path to my vst path. ( i will give it another go by accepting the default )

Then it might be as simple as copying the dll file to my llmms vst folder.

The Linux sampler should be easy to install, and I will see if I can get it working in lmms.
I tried again, the grace sampler vst.

I cant get it to work on Linux.

What I tried, the 64 bit version and the 32 bit version.

I run the .exe file with wine, and let it install the dll file.

Then I tried to go directly to this dll, but also tried copying the dll, and the other files to my vst folder.

I see it starts to load the .dll , but nothing happens after this.

Now I will have a look at the Linux sampler.
I am totally lost on that Linux sampler, mostly on how to use it, and or how to get in in lmms, if possible.

I have it installed, but have no idea on how to use it.

Will do some research if I find out how to use it in lmms if possible.

For other suse users, how to install:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... d-qsampler

Edit: I opened a topic on Linux musicians forum. Lets see if they can help us. The Linux sampler does not seem to have a gui, so I installed a ( gui) frontend, that might be missing features.

Can't find documentation, and the Linux sampler forum seems dead. to be continued ?
Gps wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am
I see it starts to load the .dll , but nothing happens after this.
Could that be a WINE issue?
But a lot of proggies from windows does not run in WINE at all, isent it so?
Now.. I have been reading through the manual for Grace. There are especially one thing that i want from a Sampler:

* Pitch-changed samples over a span of the keybord

That to me, is a Sampler!

In Grace i can find this:

But that wont work in lmms. I have same tone (semitone) on every key, so i must be doing something wrong -or Grace is yet an other 'sampler', that does not fullfill my understanding of a Sampler! -An understanding i got from a video where Cool&theGang has children speaking into a microphone, and immediately, was able to play notes, with the spoken words in different semitones!
That, is a Sampler
To me Grace is like a 'multi-AFP' -One new sample pr. piano-key -Right?
Not a true Sampler, as i understand it..

So to get to 'Sample-function', it does look like we need to make a -or several scale-files of notes, in f.i. Audacity, and then insert each of these on different keys in Grace, but that will bloat a project absurdly in size... :/ *sighs*