Better Midi Support

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Automation editor being able to send CC and NRPN data.
A midi instrument so you do not need to load an instrument which I assume eats processor.
Song Editor's volume, pan, mute and solo controls to send the proper CCs/assignable CCs, or alter the midi stream accordingly.
B+B editor, set midi note number per track for triggering drum kits in synths and drum machines.

These changes would allow LMMS to fill a massive gap in the linux audio world, there is no good sequencer for outboard gear, LMMS is so close to being there.

Thanks, great program even without these features.

Edit: Is it worthwhile opening a request on github? Will that be seen by the devs more or is this board just as good?
oid wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:06 am
Edit: Is it worthwhile opening a request on github? Will that be seen by the devs more or is this board just as good?
This is as 'good'. In the 'Suggestions forum' here, we can often explain ways to achieve requested features. That is ofcause not the so in your case. These are indeed not part of lmms.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome oid!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Thanks for the answer Muiskbear.

I also just noticed that LMMS seems to only allow you to specify what device you send midi too, not what channel so you can not sequence multi voiced parts on external synthesizers.

It is a shame seeing that LMMS is the only thing on linux close to being a full featured sequencer, this problem more or less makes it useless for sequencing outboard gear.
Hello, I found LMMS and this forum in my (now 3-week-old) search for a stable and efficient MIDI-only sequencing package for Linux. Not to bore you but after 28 years I am moving off of Windows to Linux. Someone please tell me that I am reading a set of outdated posts here, and that LMMS can decently handle outboard hardware synths without filtering the channels! This is a bit unbelievable.

Outboard Hardware: I am a pro performer and have been using MIDI for composition and in live performance since it was introduced during the late 1980's (and Roland DCB before that). I have always used outboard equipment, so that I am not wrestling a mouse onstage and so that I can tune and EQ on the fly - this is a lot easier when you can just hit a button on a hardware front panel instead of navigating menus. OK enough about why I use outboard hardware.

Sorry if I am going on a bit, but I have been astonished that I cannot find a single MIDI application for Linux that simply works on MIDI except for this one, and even here there does not appear to be an understanding that linking external hardware is why it was called MIDI in the first place (You know? "Musical Instrument Digital Interface"? as in connecting up instruments?) and that Soundfont support was a design add-on to accommodate those who do not have the need or desire to spend $$ on outboard gear.

Simplicity: For performance, all I am looking for is a simple piece of software that will load a Type 1 SMF and play it out through an attached MIDI interface. I don't need audio, and so from my perspective it is bloat. And in addition to it loading down the computer, any experienced performer will tell you that each extra unneeded software feature introduces another multiple of the possible things that can go wrong during a performance.

This is not complicated. To this day I have been using a piece of Windows shareware that was originally written for Windows 3.1! The developers have been long gone, but the software still does its thing all the way through Windows 7.

Read in the SMF. Type 1 SMF is already in tracks, each of which can contain multi-channel data. Display the tracks. Allow for some event add/edit/delete. Support play/pause/stop/record (MMC if you want to be fancy) Save in SMF. That's all it needs to do. This is Linux, why can't I find this in 2020 when it was in Windows shareware in 1991?
lsallen wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:54 am
Hello,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum lsallen !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
looking for is a simple piece of software that will load a Type 1 SMF and play it out through an attached MIDI interface.

Read in the SMF. Type 1 SMF is already in tracks, each of which can contain multi-channel data. Display the tracks. Allow for some event add/edit/delete. Support play/pause/stop/record (MMC if you want to be fancy) Save in SMF. That's all it needs to do. This is Linux, why can't I find this in 2020 when it was in Windows shareware in 1991?
Yes -The core-issue here is that LMMS is not geared for live-performance.
Downstream it is meant to be..
But there are a stack of issues that influence the current priorytied version: A free and reliable home-DAW, for studio usage.
It is also a fact, that LMMS is without project-control, in as much as streamlined purpose-bound development.
amyone can are most welcome to work on the project, but this also mean that the invidual developer makes own choices on what they want or feel the can work on!
So there will 'never' be a directive for what the developers should focus on!
That will be a serious drawback in respect to getting LMMS live-performance-ready.
What i am saying is: Nobody knows when..
Your post make we wandering if a consolidation of everything related to live-performance should be done. That should at least give an overview of what already has been considered. I will see if i can find time for this over the weekend. May I ask for your assistance in that respect, just give it a glance (when it is done:) and give your professional opinion on usability and lack of such, for live-performance?