What I'd like to see

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I found out about limms through kvraudio.com, and as I'm fed up with my other over featured, bloated and unfriendly host apps, and I'm looking to change my sequencer I'd thought I'd give it a go.
I have to say I'm very impressed, but at the same time a little deflated as it's not quite ready for me, yet.
I should qualify. I'm a windows user, I use alot of vsti's, I do minimal audio recording, and I'm wanting a simple (but nicely featured), easy to use tracker based program for sketching out and songwriting, with minimal fuss, but having some detailed midi editing available if need be.
The basic premise/purpose of the app is great - No problems there. The look is spot on - Functional, easy on the eye etc... I'm not usually a huge fan of lots of added plugs and sample content (I already have my own), but it's not so grotesque as to affect download sizes like on fls.
I'm sure going too far down the road of fl clone could possibly be counter productive (it's nice to preserve limms own characteristics), but if you only just copy the piano roll and leave the tracker workflow alone I'm in.
The only issues I had/have are in the workings. I hope they can be worked through as limms, even in an unusable (for me) state, had me excited and wanting to write music again.

The biggest concern I have is with the audio engine - without asio support is a bug(ger). Even when using the highest buffer rate in the settings tab I was getting jittery and stuttering audio playback when moving on screen items such as vst guis or the pattern and song editors to the point of un-usability.
I've not had this problem on any other app I've used with asio4all with, and it's sort of a deal killer not being able to trust the audio. Of course I'm assuming it's an audio driver thing and not an engine problem under the bonnet. The screen areas being dragged go as crazy as the audio, like cursor arrow tails, just bigger

So while I've not been able to explore in any great depths, I did notice a few of other points worthy of attention.
The vst wrapper should have a way to import/export fxp/b program files.
The wrapper should also have a way of selecting presets as not all vst(i) can choses from the gui.
When selecting a new preset for 3osc (for example), the volume on the instruments mixer channel reverts to a full on state, regardless of how it's been set previously. This can cause some ear bleeding suprises ;)

All in all, I can't wait for limms to grow and mature.
I'm not a computer programmer, but if there's anything I can do to help this baby become my ideal daw, then just ask.

Dan.
Some good ideas there. About audio support, this is because LMMS was originally a Linux-only program and the Windows port is quite new. On Linux, there are similar problems with audio, but not nearly to the same extent.