Stringed instrument flourish

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I'm probably calling it the wrong thing... I can tell that because the word "flourish" isn't Italian...

ANYwho, I'm trying to make a violin/cello "flourish" - a pitch-bend at the very end of the note, normally ascending. Now that I'm thinking about it, a proper flourish should probably increase in volume toward the end, too. I'll save that for later. I should do some googling...

Using the piano-roll graphical bender kind of works - but its resolution is so huge (half a beat?)... Is there a way to increase the resolution of the points in the graphical bender?

Or simply overlapping notes, making the short flourish overlap the end of the note.

Or I could probably use the automation - but I'd have to have to do that every time I need it - plus in order to copy a phrase I'd need to copy the piano-roll AND the automation track... doesn't seem very elegent.

So I'll just ask: how can one put a flourish on a instrument?

Oh - and also, as far as the graphical pitch-bending tool - it doesn't seem to work on just everything. Like Soundfont samples, for instance. What's the critera for whether one can use that tool on an instrument?
Failte200 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Or I could probably use the automation - but I'd have to have to do that every time I need it - plus in order to copy a phrase I'd need to copy the piano-roll AND the automation track... doesn't seem very elegent.
I dont know what it is your trying to do, but i have a track with Violins and Cello's in it also.

Copying an automation from one segment of the piano roll to another is as easy as copying a musical section.

Am i missing something?

If you can point to an example of a 'Flourish' i will see if i understand what it is you are trying to achieve.
Failte200 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 pm
So I'll just ask: how can one put a flourish on a instrument?
You need a VST. Synth1 can do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDSCMp9uY4
The trick is to get a discreet-note change. Its an old request, and maybe one day...
as far as the graphical pitch-bending tool - it doesn't seem to work on just everything. Like Soundfont samples, for instance.
What's the critera for whether one can use that tool on an instrument?
pitchbend is only possible in instrument That is based on midi. That exclude VST ao VST based (zasfx lb303) & soundfonts
musikbear wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:25 pm
pitchbend is only possible in instrument That is based on midi. That exclude VST ao VST based (zasfx lb303) & soundfonts
Gotcha. Now, for future reference:

How can I tell which "built-in" synths are "VST-based" and/or "based on midi"? I take it that, for instance, TripleOsc code is actually part of LMMS, but zasfx is a VST "INCLUDED" with default LMMS, but not actually part of its code? Do I have that right?

I've not played with VSTs yet in my LMMS learning - I keep reading that most, if not all, of them require Wine (I'm actually running LMMS on a Linux box) and I'm just not up for that added obfuscation, even though I am very curious about Synth1 now, because I keep hearing about it...
Failte200 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 pm
How can I tell which "built-in" synths are "VST-based" and/or "based on midi"?
If there is no content on the ENV/LFO tab, the instrument is VST-build or based on 'similar' stub

Do I have that right?
TripleOsc code is not VST based, zasfx is a VST "INCLUDED" with default LMMS.
Almost, i changed the statement to be more correct.
I keep reading that most, if not all, of them require Wine
Linux need WINE to be able to use VST, but you should not back down because of that.
Read: https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... _.26_Linux
I would be really nice to know if that info is sufficient for you to get WINE running, and have full VST support in your distro
For trouble shooting we have :
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... _with_WINE