Add asio4all as standard

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

MaxK wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:43 pm
Im' thinking about showing you in a video, should I make a brand new post about that?
EDIT: I added a video to my OP for everyone interested.
Thank you. This may be interesting for some, but i still need to have insight in crash frequency, and how this crach influence win64. The previous asio-crash' was anything but harmles. A total mess with BSOD and the ominous "System had a serious incident..." -maybe blah blah ms blah, but could also be loss of 'regDB integrity'
I have had absolutely no BSOD or crash as you say... it happens sometimes that when I boot up a project from earlier, that some glitch makes everything crackling, but all you do is restart the project and ASIO works flawlessly til whenever you want to quit.
MaxK wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:16 am
I have had absolutely no BSOD or crash as you say... it happens sometimes that when I boot up a project from earlier, that some glitch makes everything crackling, but all you do is restart the project and ASIO works flawlessly til whenever you want to quit.
Thank you!
musikbear wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:39 pm
kasenshlogga1 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:15 pm
Not in LMMS, I wish I could have ASIO in LMMS. But in other DAWs like Reaper.
Ahhhhhhhhhh!
Thatta way!
But then you will love this....
You see -im totally wrong
Libsoundio is NOT the option in 1.2.1! :ugeek:
Just a short time before release, it was changed back to libportaudio_2, and that changes everything!
The very last beta that i had before the off release, was indeed with soundio, and ASIO was not an option, but in off release it IS!
https://github.com/spatialaudio/portaud ... o64bit.dll
This libportaudio dll does support ASIO on 64 bit machines!
So replacing current portaudio with the one above will let you use ASIO4ALL!
Now then we are back to the crash question.
SDL in portaudio, is rocksteady stable. It simply does not crash!
ASIO ... i havent got the faintest idea about how steady it is!
I would be very interested in hearing from all that are using ASIO4ALL, and to get there opinion on the stability of the dll, and the back-end. So if you use the above mentioned dll, for at least 10 h of accumulated usage (the more the better), then let us know how the dll has preformed in 1.2.1, and on what windows OS
Linux is excluded, i am afraid..

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome kasenshlogga1 !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Well that actually worked. I only had to rename it to "libportaudio-2.dll". I really didn't expect this to be such a simple fix lol. ASIO support should definitely a standard feature in future releases. I can even play my MIDI drumkit now in LMMS with relatively little latency which is pretty cool. I didn't notice any crashes or glitches so far.

My only complaint is that there's no way to increase the sample rate to more than 44100 Hz, even though my soundcard supports 96000 Hz. At a higher sample rate you could get even less latency at the cost of CPU usage.
Would always be nice with lower latency and maybe also a better workflow, I hope to see LMMS dev's put in an easier workflow to record MIDI, because right now you have to activate each midi input for the specific vst EVERYTIME and that's a bummer, you should just be able to click a little button OR WHATEVER and be ready to go, and in addition not having to go into the piano roll ALL THE TIME to hit that record button......ARRRRRHHHHHH......we need some fixes lol
MaxK wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:38 pm
you have to activate each midi input for the specific vst EVERYTIME ::
and in addition not having to go into the piano roll ALL THE TIME to hit that record button
Well 'record' in lmms is not recording, it is midi-capture, and that will always be specific for one instrument at a time, and piano-roll is the intuitive editor for the task, since it is in piano-roll, that you make the note settings, and also where you will be able to see the captured notes, and where you adjust these notes if needed. I cant see any logic in doing this from song-editor(?)
[/quote]
Well 'record' in lmms is not recording, it is midi-capture, and that will always be specific for one instrument at a time, and piano-roll is the intuitive editor for the task, since it is in piano-roll, that you make the note settings, and also where you will be able to see the captured notes, and where you adjust these notes if needed. I cant see any logic in doing this from song-editor(?)
[/quote]

I don't see why you'd want to activate your midi controller on every channel everytime you have to record an instrument, like in FL Studio you just go to that channel and boom, your midi is synced to that channel, I don't see all the > activate midi controller > enter piano roll > hit capture button > play midi > exit piano roll > deactivate midi from that channel > go to new channel > activate midi ......aaaaand yeah.....that could be better...... design and time wise......
MaxK wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 pm
I don't see why you'd want to activate your midi controller on every channel everytime you have to record an instrument
Ahh this about MIDI-keyboard!
Now i understand. Yes, thats underwhelming, and is meant to change
kasenshlogga1 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 am
Honestly I don't see why you would "phase out" ASIO support.
ASIO is Windows-specific, and frankly the offerings from Linux and Mac are cleaner. I only use ASIO as part of WINE to get Windows VSTs working, which is a shame since I'd rather use ALSA and JACK natively and not have to mess with it. LMMS is intended to work cross-platform, so why force ASIO onto those that don't need or want it?