default note duration / overlapping

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hi,

By default, note durations are set to infinite (-192 in lmms file) when editing simple patterns (without the piano roll).
In this default mode, consecutive notes (played by the same intrument) may overlap.
### SUGGESTION #1
IMHO in this mode, it would be better to stop the sound just as the new note comes. It's much more natural
than adding overlapping samples in the same instrument line.
Of course, LMMS could provide an option to choose between the 2 behaviors (infinite vs till next note).

Besides, i also have another remark : it's still about durations and independent with suggestion #1

it's very handy to work in the pattern window when using percussions (without having to open the piano-roll)
but as soon as a single note length is specified (other than the default), the visualisation format changes, forcing to use the piano roll.
### SUGGESTION #2
As long as notes start upon beats/pattern cells and don't last/extend over the beat/cell,
it would be nice if all editing remained available without having to use the piano roll
(that is, in the main pattern window, because in this case all notes remain aligned/on beats
=> This mode is so handy and much quicker)

I hope i am clear :-p
eg
XXXX ---- X--X X-X-
1234 1234 1234 1234
what is suggest is that editing can be done as long as all notes X last less than 1/4
This would imply to possibilite to specify a note length e.g. when right-clicking over the X symbols

What do you think ? Useful suggestions ;) ?
Phi
ecodix wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 pm
Hi,

By default, note durations are set to infinite (-192 in lmms file) when editing simple patterns (without the piano roll).
No, that is an erroneous assumption.
The duration of a note depends on the settings in envelopes
Read:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... #Envelopes
All note 'overlab' can be completely controlled here