The Ability To Record in LMMS Is Crucial.

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I'm sure many people have stated this already, however, I feel it is important to readdress this particular issue.

Users shouldn't have to install & utilize another separate program for fundamental features that happens to not be implemented into a L.D.A.W (Limited Digital Audio Workstation).

Definitely a major setback, for both the users & developers working on LMMS.

When I first launched LMMS, I expected it to at least be capable of handling microphone recordings & et cetera, otherwise it'll be incomplete & unfit for specific usage. I was soon proven wrong, as it's functionality could only take one so far.

I had discovered the file import/export format was problematic also (no support for mp3), however, it wouldn't be that damaging. If solo, I could perhaps convert audio into wav form and that'd solve that.
whitefangsec wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:43 pm
I'm sure many people have stated this already, however, I feel it is important to readdress this particular issue.

Users shouldn't have to install & utilize another separate program for fundamental features that happens to not be implemented into a L.D.A.W (Limited Digital Audio Workstation).

Definitely a major setback, for both the users & developers working on LMMS.

When I first launched LMMS, I expected it to at least be capable of handling microphone recordings & et cetera, otherwise it'll be incomplete & unfit for specific usage. I was soon proven wrong, as it's functionality could only take one so far.

I had discovered the file import/export format was problematic also (no support for mp3), however, it wouldn't be that damaging. If solo, I could perhaps convert audio into wav form and that'd solve that.
I heard one of the devs they prob. gonna add that to an upcoming version in the future [not 1.2.2.] (the recording through microphone). Most of us here just use Audacity. I agree that it needs to have support for importing .mp3, like for samples, rather than just using the codec for export.

Due to limited developers and almost no funds, if you think about its slow pace, that's why...
whitefangsec wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:43 pm
But thats where you are wrong!
There is no reason to re-report any bug ao request for new features. Not only no reason, but it is also prohibited..

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome whitefangsec !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Agreed, this is probably the single most important feature that LMMS is still lacking. I hope we don't have to wait too long for this. Also they need to get ASIO working out of the box, without having to resort to custom .dll workarounds.

It's because of things like this that everytime I keep coming back to LMMS I'm, like, I would like this to be my main DAW but it's just not quite there yet.

@musikbear
He's not wrong. No need to defend the developers for lacking a vital feature. Having to use external software just to record stuff is a major deal breaker for a lot of people.
kasenshlogga1 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm
@musikbear
He's not wrong. No need to defend the developers for lacking a vital feature. Having to use external software just to record stuff is a major deal breaker for a lot of people.
:)_> :P He IS wrong!
Here is why:
1) We have asked you not to request features that already has been requested before
2) We have asked you to please make sure that you are not asking for something that is already in the works -Asked you to read the issues on gitHub, before asking for 'stuff'
He either did not, or decided to ignore our requests
-Thats why he was wrong

I dont 'defend the devs' Lmms Devs does not need any defence
Unpaid
Untied
Volunteers
Producing a FREE software..
What are there to defend.. or maybe that question should be
What are there to criticise.....
Since the discussion of audio recording is prohibited in this area, can the mods move this topic to a thread where it is allowed?

I also fully agree with the OP's opinion on the importance of recording audio. I think it would be beneficial if would could keep discussion on this topic open somehow in a way that complies with the forum rules.
You are missing the point.

This feature has been requested before. It will probably come one day, but nobody knows when.

Asking the devs, about every week that LMMS needs to be able to record audio won't help.

If your on Linux and its that important to you, try audour. ( which is not totally free)
Hello,

I am coming from Bitwig and Cubase. They are over kill. Bloatware! Then I came across LMMS. Less is more. Simple. Powerful. Intuitive. Compliments to the creators and supporters. :-)

Yes, the only major thing missing is to be able to record audio directly (without external apps like Audacity etc.). I'm new and not sure where to look to see current considerations for changes. If it comes down to funding, I am willing to contribute.

Can you point me to where this has officially been requested.

Sincere thanks,

Michael
Michael225 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:04 am

Can you point me to where this has officially been requested.
Way, wayyy too many to list.

But you can follow the project here https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/pull/4994

Seems there are too many merge conflicts and bugs for it to be finished yet, and the project is probably a pretty big and technical one (I'm not a dev so can't give any details).
kasenshlogga1 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm
Agreed, this is probably the single most important feature that LMMS is still lacking. I hope we don't have to wait too long for this. Also they need to get ASIO working out of the box, without having to resort to custom .dll workarounds.
If I remember correctly, the reason there is no direct mp3 import and ASIO support is because of licensing issues. It's not a matter of just "getting it working."
Michael225 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:04 am
If it comes down to funding, I am willing to contribute.
There seems to be a common misunderstanding that development on this program is slow because there is a lack of funding. Development on this program is slow because of the volunteer nature of the project, along with the fact that there will never be enough funding to hire full-time, or even part-time developers (which is one of the things that would have the most impact due to the scope of the project). Additionally, because this is a community driven project, while changes are discussed and considered by a large amount of people, it comes down to whoever has the skill and time to write the code and implement changes without adding new bugs or breaking existing functionally. Code doesn't exist in a vacuum, after all.