Quantization snapping

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

One slick feature in Reaper that I'd like to see in LMMS is the ability to "snap" notes in the piano roll to the beats within the song. For example, if I have an idea that I've done a quick recording of just to get it saved, I often have to go back and manually line the notes up with the beat if something is not quite in sync with my timing when I played it. Being able to snap the notes to the nearest division could potentially save a lot of time.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm
manually line the notes up with the beat if something is not quite in sync with my timing when I played it. Being able to snap the notes to the nearest division could potentially save a lot of time.
I am not sure i understand. You can use Q-values down to 1/192, that is also where the note-block would snap! Isent the issue that you cant 'trim' the recording?
Right here now, i realize that i can design a method for just that, using existing features in 1.2.2 only
:p
I will video a how-to later.. or admit defeat :P
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm
manually line the notes up with the beat if something is not quite in sync with my timing when I played it. Being able to snap the notes to the nearest division could potentially save a lot of time.
I am not sure i understand. You can use Q-values down to 1/192, that is also where the note-block would snap! Isent the issue that you cant 'trim' the recording?
Right here now, i realize that i can design a method for just that, using existing features in 1.2.2 only
:p
I will video a how-to later.. or admit defeat :P
What I mean is, if the timing of my playing is off slightly or the keyboard trigger picks up the keystroke a little late, be able to issue a command that will "snap" the notes in the piano roll to the proper beat. So for example if a run is consistently on the 8ths but during the record it picks it up on the 16th after, be able to snap those notes to the 8th.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:26 pm
What I mean is, if the timing of my playing is off slightly or the keyboard trigger picks up the keystroke a little late, be able to issue a command that will "snap" the notes in the piano roll to the proper beat. So for example if a run is consistently on the 8ths but during the record it picks it up on the 16th after, be able to snap those notes to the 8th.
That is the Q-value!
You can force notes to only be inserted on chosen Q-snaps-value. That works both for inserting notes with mouse, and for playing and capture the played notes
Try this:
Open piano roll
Set Q-snap to 1/8
Try to insert a note at 1/16
That note will 'jump' into nearest 1/8 snap. You cant place with snap at 1/16
That will also be the case if you try to capture

We do have a little 'issue' with No-snap / free-positioned notes. We dont have it!
The closest to No-snap is actually 1/192 snap
That snap is in-audible. It is just like no-snap

In 1.3 we have new options for after-configuration-snaps
That feature makes it possible to re-snap 'out-of-snapped' notes, to the selected Q-value, and i actually think that is your request?
However, we may also include a way de-snap snapped-notes, that is a 'humanizing' feature
That feature is in demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBtU0JYvyY

In respect to recorded-clips in sample-track, we only have the option to slide the clip snap-less to any position.
Grab the clip and move it, to establish a move-handle, then hold Alt-gr. The clip now moves with no snap
musikbear wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:23 pm

That feature makes it possible to re-snap 'out-of-snapped' notes, to the selected Q-value, and i actually think that is your request?
However, we may also include a way de-snap snapped-notes, that is a 'humanizing' feature
That feature is in demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBtU0JYvyY

Yes, that seems to be what I'm talking about. I think the "humanization" will also be a handy addition as well.