MONEY TO SUPPORT LMMS

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

i think it would be a great idea to have an lmms profile in spotify with the lmms albums donated by users, that already are in bandcamp. So the lmms team can make money by streamming. As you may know spotify pays per reproduction. There´s a free agregator to upload to spotify that works pretty well, its called routenote, you can upload all you want for free to spotify, you recieve payments to your paypal account, and the service takes a comissión of 15 percent of the money spotify pays you. We could also have an lmms day in the month, or make a call to action to listen to the lmms volumes in spotify so it makes money to use for development.

With that money it would be easier to improve the compressors, add meters, recording functions etcetera.

https://www.routenote.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ ... gJDovD_BwE
When people listen to the lmms volumes in bandcamp the team is not making any money. If the lmms team could give the possibility to people to listen in spotify, they will be making streamming money. Spofity pays everytime somebody listen.`It wont be that much money, but it would be certainly helpful.
Bandcamp does make money when people pay > $0 for the album. This happens on occasion. We also receive plenty of donations to cover our costs, so the money isn't really a big motivator here.

Another issue is that we don't entirely own the content. I'm not sure how this works for compilation albums. Do the albums play automatically on Spotify? If not, I'd be happy with someone already involved with BoL running with this task. If they're already on there, perhaps we could find a way to attribute the songs (and thus the money) to the song creators.

Note, at the time of writing this, we're talking pennies, so the money would be more of a "thank you" and perhaps a discovery channel than it would be any form of reliable revenue stream.
i dont know how they do it, i thought those songs were donated to the lmms cause. It´s just 1 song that people donate to support the lmms cause, but if you want to do it the other way i don´t know how you can do it.It´s different from country to country and to make it worse this songs have to be registered, wich in many cases maybe are not.
tresf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:11 pm
Bandcamp does make money when people pay > $0 for the album. This happens on occasion. We also receive plenty of donations to cover our costs, so the money isn't really a big motivator here.

Another issue is that we don't entirely own the content. I'm not sure how this works for compilation albums. Do the albums play automatically on Spotify? If not, I'd be happy with someone already involved with BoL running with this task. If they're already on there, perhaps we could find a way to attribute the songs (and thus the money) to the song creators.

Note, at the time of writing this, we're talking pennies, so the money would be more of a "thank you" and perhaps a discovery channel than it would be any form of reliable revenue stream.
In bandcamp people have to decide to pay, in spotify people could generate income to the lmms team everytime they listen. It´s a matter of talking with the people that donates the songs to the cause, and in exchange this people can get recognition from the lmms team and maybe a link to their own spotify channels.
tresf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:11 pm

i got it. You won´t earn any money, but as a spotify user called for example lmms official you can create playlists of people who has made his music with lmss and has uploaded this music to their spotify. You create a playlist, you publish the link in the forum, and when people listen to the playlist money goes to the different playlist members.
The LMMS org uploading music to Spotify messes heavily with the ability of users to put their own music on Spotify due to the way distribution works. On top of that, if it is done correctly, LMMS will actually not receive any revenue as they are not the artist, just an album compiler. Royalties go to the rights holder, and while LMMS gets permission to distribute the tracks on bandcamp when artists submit, they don't get the right to hijack royalty streams. This is the definitive reason why BoL tracks are not going on Spotify via the LMMS organization. I would love to be wrong here, as it has been a while since I've brushed up on distribution legalese.

Besides that, I believe you are heavily overestimating how much money Spotify streams actually generate, as Tres has already mentioned. It would take hundreds of thousands of plays to get anything meaningful, and you can look at the playlists on soundcloud to get an indication of how popular winning tracks actually are. The most popular ones have trouble hitting over 10,000 plays. This is a couple dollars at most on a streaming platform that pays per play, and these play counts have taken years to rack up to where they are. This year's tracks have been some of the strongest in a while, with a couple of them hitting 5,000 already, but this is still relative pocket change. Spotify is one of the worst paying platforms for artists.