I would like LMMS to have groove quantization

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

This took me years to find. Many years ago I saw a demonstration, which involved an Atari ST with Cubase, a Yamaha DX7 and a drum computer.

Those were the days were it would cost you a fortune, to do what we now can do with LMMS.

The guy made a basic drum rythym and we complained it sounded so mechanical.
He then went in Cubase changed something, and it suddenly sounded like a live drummer.

For years I have been wondering what he did, but I got an reply about this on the Linux musicians forum. Groove quantization.

https://craiganderton.org/what-is-groov ... with-midi/

I need to do some testing. We should be able to this manual in LMMS.

Change the position and velocity of some of the (midi) notes. We probably need the 1/192 grid for this.

Part of this puzzle is that a real drummer, when going 1,2,3,4 hits a bit harder on the 1 count. :)
So velocity on the first note up.
Agreed.
Until then, I had found a tool that did the trick https://magenta.tensorflow.org/groovae
Interesting, will give that a try, but after watching the vid I wonder what the difference is with a swing feature.

It probably comes down to the same thing. Notes slightly moved.

Edit: I got an answer before even asking about this:
Its almost the same as swing, but it has system
Music has 'impotant' and 'lesser' beats
Important is 1 & 3
Lesser is 2 & 4
A skilled drummer hits 1 & 3 perfect!
But he has degrees of freedom for 2 & 4!
He can shuffle on the lesser beats, as long as he has perfect timing on the Important.
(In jazz that concept is extended to notes. Notes of-scale on lesser beats are known as blue-notes, that again come up from blues- and bluegrass-music
Quite often because the instruments had very low quality.)
His shuffle on lesser beats are no way near random!
Its deadly precise, but off position
To implement that in lmms you need to setup your beat with perfect 1 & 3 positions, and then decide a shuffle pattern for your 2 & 4
Copy that beat to the number of bars you want for that shuffle-patern, and you are done!
In another section you can use a different shuffle
The pro-daw has this as a feature, where you turn dials for 2 & 4.

So this might come to LMMS one day, but more important we already can do this manual.

Move the second and 4th note, but by how much we will have to figure out / try and test.

You need the grid set to 1/192 and try and try again until it sounds right. only move the second and fourth note.
Also increase the velocity of the first note, but don't move it. :)
Billy Cobham speaking about drumming :

Interesting will watch that , and how about earl young ?

what's important is that you won't notice any swing on good drummers , they are accurate to miliseconds when they go serious , velocity , variations , accents is the key , and imagination :)
I will be already happy if I can make my drum tracks sound better.

I won't be easy, but increasing the velocity on the first beat already helps.
Gps wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 pm
increasing the velocity on the first beat already helps.
First of whole, also known as the "James Brown beat" 🤣
LOL well I might have to admit I like a lot of what james brown made.
Groove quantization? That sounds really interesting.