Decimal BPM

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

"Why would you want a decimal BPM" I'm trying to make a midi version of a song with a decimal BPM
vlbonnie wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:21 am
"Why would you want a decimal BPM" I'm trying to make a midi version of a song with a decimal BPM
I have never seen a DAW with that feature(?) -or for that matters, a beatfinder with decimal output
What song uses decimal in BPM?
Subject: Decimal BPM
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:46 pm
vlbonnie wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:21 am
I have never seen a DAW with that feature(?) -or for that matters, a beatfinder with decimal output
The version of Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles uses a decimal in the BPM if I recall correctly. Which isn't the song I'm currently working with, but I have confirmation from someone who's seen the project files for this song that the BPM does have a decimal value.
VOCALOID has an option for decimal BPM (not a DAW, but a voice syntheziser). Logic and FL Studio jave decimal BPM support. And it's kind of annoying trying to make this midi and having it slooooowly go off time unless I keep shifting things to the left, which I'll then have to undo later.

Also, sorry this was a DM at first. I clicked the wrong button.
A lot of DAWs use decimal BPMs. I've come across songs with decimal BPMs before.
Ermmm I'm guessing that you might mean a 'Decimal Fraction' e.g 120.3 ???

Although very few people could tell the difference between a track running at 120 BPM or 120.3 BPM, it gets really important when trying to sync LMMS content to existing recordings.

Any recording that went though some analogue medium - tape, vinyl etc - won't be running at exactly decimal BPMs - even if they were computer-generated (programmed) in the first place.

I've posted about his before - but with little response.

I suspect that the tempo-generating internal core of LMMS is running in fractions of milliseconds. So to get to the current options - i.e decimal only BPMs - the core would be dividing by some pretty large numbers, and rounding up or down to the nearest decimal. Why not round to the nearest 10th or 100th instead? Seems like an easy fix, no?
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:46 pm
A lot of old songs use decimal BPM due to resamplings over the time.
Here is an example (pay attention to that 124.730).
Technotronic-PumpUpTheJam.jpg
Technotronic-PumpUpTheJam.jpg (216.88 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
I know this feature cannot be implemented with the current core, but it's a must for LMMS in the near future.
cheers