mp3 export option!

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

So, I think this is a major problem with LMMS. The export options. So, I think a lot of artists including myself love mp3s. They have metadata options and aren't too lossey as a format. I don't know why this feature hasn't been added yet as there is a real crowd asking for it. Anyone else have an idea on why?

btw, I'm not hating on LMMS devs. They're awesome people and other than the export problem it's amazing software!
Licensing fees, that is why.
C_H wrote:Licensing fees, that is why.
Ah! okay, I understand now. So, does that basically mean no mp3s from LMMS? Or can they get past that licensing stuff?
You can still add metadata to the .ogg format. Also you can use Audacity too convert your music to mp3.
It always seemed to me in doing so, the music seems to loose some of it's dynamics.
smartie987 wrote: Ah! okay, I understand now. So, does that basically mean no mp3s from LMMS?
Yep
smartie987 wrote:Or can they get past that licensing stuff?
No
Eino wrote:You can still add metadata to the .ogg format. Also you can use Audacity too convert your music to mp3.
It always seemed to me in doing so, the music seems to loose some of it's dynamics.
It does loose some dynamics. I often wonder why most people don't seem to hear this.

I have had online friend complain about the size of myself ripped mp3 ( from cd), because I use 320kbps (the max possible setting)

I also don't like the lmms dev to spend time on this.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2000

Note the expiration date of September 2015 for MP3 and related patents.

Also: http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Mp3
caLRo wrote: Note the expiration date of September 2015 for MP3 and related patents.
Indeed, but the US have stricter patenting, though :(
It's extremely easy to convert the file types LMMS outputs to MP3. There are loads of free applications for doing just that.
MP3 and OGG are both lossy formats. Converting from one to the other (assuming same bitrates and a decent converter program) will not affect dynamics or quality.

Converting from 32bit float wav to anything else will always result in dynamic loss and artifacting. Use 32bit float if you are planning on reusing rendered items in a project or daw that accepts 32bit float. Otherwise do a good job with your mixing in the first place and render in an integer format (in this case 16bit) as CD wav (industry standard) is 16bit 44.1/48kHz. Rendering in float is typically just a cover up for bad mixing practices or when you need to non-destructively edit and render something within a project. Since anything you distribute on streaming sites will be transcoded and down sampled to 128kbps MP3, render one copy in 16bit wav (for a lossless master copy/bandcamp/etc) and then either render another in 128kbps OGG or use a converter program to convert the wav master copy to MP3 or OGG, depending on preference.

As for the original thread, MP3 is not open source nor is it public domain, and therefor can not be included in LMMS.