Ability to detach and break out windows outside LMMS main window and to separate monitors

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

If we currently have the ability to detach and break out windows outside LMMS main window and to multiple monitors, please let me know how to do it.

Otherwise, I think it would greatly assist workflow to add this feature to LMMS.

The way it is now, any complex project with many components has all the separate windows crowded into the LMMS main window, overlapping each other. Plus I have noticed that when windows overlap in LMMS, the cpu-usage spikes as a result.

thanks
Plus I have noticed that when windows overlap in LMMS, the cpu-usage spikes as a result.
Interesting -could you tell us a little about hardware?

(Different solutions for new general ui is under consideration -no schedules)
Regarding the cpu-spikes when windows overlap within LMMS, I just assumed that happened to everyone, regardless of hardware. But maybe it's just my computer that does it. It's a Dell Optiplex 330, Windows XP Pro svc pack 3, 32 bit, 2.4 gigahertz Pentium Dual, 4 Gb RAM, with plenty of hard drive free space. Whenever I'm working on an LMMS project (every day), I have everything else closed on this computer, so all available CPU can be devoted to the project.

Of course, LMMS gives us the ability to hide any windows, so I hide as many windows as possible, to minimize this increased CPU-usage phenomenon while I'm working on a project.
sizemore0409 wrote:Regarding the cpu-spikes when windows overlap within LMMS, I just assumed that happened to everyone, regardless of hardware. But maybe it's just my computer that does it. It's a Dell Optiplex 330, Windows XP Pro svc pack 3, 32 bit, 2.4 gigahertz Pentium Dual, 4 Gb RAM, with plenty of hard drive free space. Whenever I'm working on an LMMS project (every day), I have everything else closed on this computer, so all available CPU can be devoted to the project.
That is definitely an older machine, and its specs are on the low end of modern performance. Windows XP 32-bit is also not helping you, but with your specs it is probably your best option aside from installing an even lighter footprint Linux distribution.

To address the CPU spikes, it makes sense that the more LMMS has to render (make visible and update changes in real time) the more stress it will put on your PC. Typically speaking, if you are showing multiple views at one on a smaller monitor there will be some overlapping going on.

If I got something wrong about what you said, let me know!
incidentally, you have a few settings, that could optimate your experience.
You find them in the 'flash' section in Settings: "Performance-Settings"
If you have regular cpu spiking, you should disable these. Especially smooth-scroll, and most important auto-save, does cause spiking.
Do remember to manually save often, if you choose to disable auto-save!
your hardware is i tad better than mine, btw
In tests i have run 2 instances of lmms simultaneous, just to stress everything to the max. That is fully doable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOuQKYoyrlk