MISC - Ideas and Observations

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hello Everyone,

I figured I would share some of my ideas / observations.
I apologize if any of these have already been mentioned by others.

HANDLING EFFECTS

1.) In the settings it appears as if you can only set one path location for VST effects and one location for LADSPA effects. I am not sure how anyone else organizes their effects, but to me one location is a little bit limiting. Might be nice to be able to add multiple locations if possible.
Not sure if anyone else feels the same way?

2.) The effect list window that you see when you hit the "Add Effects" button in the Mixer - Chain Effects column.
This one I admit I have not put a ton of thought in how to improve, but I figured I would just put it out there. I think the way it is done now is understandable why it was done this way and I do like how it functions, I especially like the real time "search" field which is a great idea to have.

It just sometimes is a little weird in certain scenarios.
- It combines LADSPA effects and VST effects together in one list
- No real way of seeing all the effects you have at once
- What if you don't necessarily have the effect name or even type of effect in mind
- What if you just want to see one specific type of effect, for example all your compressors (which I have what feels like approximately 9,376 of them, for reasons I don't know why? :)
I guess I am just waiting for that project where I need 9,376 ways of compressing it.

Maybe the ability to have some kind of folder browser or something.
This way if you keep effects organized on your computer buy putting them in separate folders, you can view by specific type. This kind of ties into my comment #1 above with setting path locations of your effects.
Not sure if anyone else can relate to any of this?

IDEAS ALREADY REQUESTED / MENTIONED
(These are just kind of +1's to ideas that I thought about and see that others have already mentioned them in other posts.)

1.) Recording capability
2.) Ability in the mixer to have an audio in and out so you can send audio through your effects in realtime.
3.) ASIO support built into LMMS (instead of method where you have to find a dll that supports)
4.) More instrument articulation simulation (set instruments to mono, legato options and settings, more glide and portamento options, and any other articulations that can be simulated)
5.) Ability to apply different colors to notes / patterns / tracks

Thank you to anyone that reads all of this.
Also thank you to the creators of LMMS for a great piece of software.
Obviously the topic of getting the ability to record realtime audio in LMMS has been requested / discussed / etc.

I figured I would expand a little more (share a couple of my own opinions) on item number 2 mentioned above.

IDEAS ALREADY REQUESTED / MENTIONED
2.) Ability in the mixer to have an audio in and out so you can send audio through your effects in realtime.

Although it would be great to see LMMS someday have the ability to record audio in realtime, showing the waveform as it is recording, as well as the ability to edit audio within LMMS, it wouldn't be a huge deal to get those features because you can basically use Audacity to accomplish this at the moment. What Audacity lacks and what may be nice to see LMMS receive in the future is just the ability to run audio realtime through the mixer / effects realtime.
LMMS would just have to add the ability to put audio through the mixer / effects and the user can just put a VST recorder where they want in the chain to record that effected audio.

(Funny effect is if you try a VST recorder in LMMS now and try to record a virtual instrument it acts weird because it will record only when the midi is coming through it, any pauses you take the VST recorder stops recording so it gets all pulled together)

Obviously this would be more of a temporary option to allow users to record audio in LMMS.
Anyways just thought I would share an opinion.