Warning if saving to a full disk

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Operating System is Ubuntu 10.10.

I've lost a couple of projects due to unknowingly saving to a full hard-disk, flash drive, etc... I'm sure there are a few people who are familiar with Ubuntu randomly filling up your hard drive with error logs and crash messages. And if you disk space goes down to say, 3gb a message will pop up warning you that your disk space is low, but when it's down to 5 mb, it don't tell you nothin'. Oh no. Not when it actually matters -_-

It'd be nice of LMMS would warn show a warning when you are saving to a full disk, or at least show some kind of confirmation that the project was saved successfully, and not written to a 0kb corrupt useless file.

Sound Club even does it, and that's a Windows program from 1995
And i thought i was the only idiot xD
sigmahlm wrote:And i thought i was the only idiot xD
LOL

It's' more a matter of the xsessionerrors file filling up (or the log directory, tmp, directory, take-your-pick) unbeknownst to you while you're working on a song. Especially problematic when running a Live USB system.

LMMS is one of a very small list of programs that I've encountered that don't give a warning when saving to a full disk.
I'm sure there are a few people who are familiar with Ubuntu randomly filling up your hard drive with error logs and crash messages.
It happens "alot with WIndows too. :shock:
Windows users "Cry," when this happens. Wah!
It's' more a matter of the xsessionerrors file filling up (or the log directory, tmp, directory, take-your-pick) unbeknownst to you while you're working on a song.
My solution for this problem, is to get a "Disk Clean up program, that has a "Registry Cleaner." You probably knew this already.
I think there are some "Free Open Source" ones out there. But one of the best, if not one of the okay ones, is "Tune Up Utilities."
I heard they have a Ubuntu version too. But it's a trial version. Unless you "randomly guess a serial number." Then it's a Full version.

"I'm Anti Piracy by the way though." He! He! :lol:

But be careful, as some of these "Commercial PC Cleaner software," has the tendencies to "delete" or "Cleanout " Computer files necessary for your PC OS.
But Tune Up Utilities is Okay. I give it a 75% out of 100%.

But the Open Source ones may be better. It's up to you.
You'll be surprised at how much disk space will be cleaned up in no time. Sometimes it'll clean up 50GB of Hard Drive Space.

Note and Warning: Tune Up Utilities 2012 actually gave Windows users a bit of "Hells!" It even eats up alot of CPU power too :shock:

So Be Very Careful!! :shock:
I also had such a problem, I was so stupid and I lost so much material and I needed to do it from the begging which took me a lot of time and energy. But from the mistakes, we learn, and I learned my lesson for sure. Since then I use a pc optimization software which I found from htpps://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-pc-optimization-software/. My computer still works fast and this software typically detects and deletes old junk files, and boosts RAM. You can find more information on the site, if you are interested.
dalebreton wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:37 am
From what I see I'm not the only stupid man in this world.
Do i understand you correctly, -You have had a fail save on current lmms?
This is an ancient post, and current lmms 1.2.2 now have a message that is shown in the low right corner. Here you read if the saving was successful or a fail!

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome dalebreton !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 pm
I'm sure there are a few people who are familiar with Ubuntu randomly filling up your hard drive with error logs and crash messages.
It's' more a matter of the xsessionerrors file filling up (or the log directory, tmp, directory, take-your-pick) unbeknownst to you while you're working on a song.
My solution for this problem, is to get a "Disk Clean up program, that has a "Registry Cleaner." You probably knew this already.
I think there are some "Free Open Source" ones out there. But one of the best, if not one of the okay ones, is "Tune Up Utilities."
I heard they have a Ubuntu version too. But it's a trial version. Unless you "randomly guess a serial number." Then it's a Full version.

But be careful, as some of these "Commercial PC Cleaner software," has the tendencies to "delete" or "Cleanout " Computer files necessary for your PC OS.

You'll be surprised at how much disk space will be cleaned up in no time. Sometimes it'll clean up 50GB of Hard Drive Space.

Note and Warning: Tune Up Utilities 2012 actually gave Windows users a bit of "Hells!" It even eats up alot of CPU power too :shock:

I only like to point out Linux does not have a registry, so there is no cleaning up the registry on Linux.
There will be a way to do some cleaining up though but I don't know it.
I never had this issue on openSUSE.
Wow! I remember this old topic.
This old post brings back 2013 lmms memories, when I was an lmms newbie. 8-)
Gps wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 am
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 pm

I only like to point out Linux does not have a registry, so there is no cleaning up the registry on Linux.
There will be a way to do some cleaining up though but I don't it.
I never had this issue on openSUSE.
After 5 years, I'm reminded of this info again.
Thanks for telling me that Gps. :)