a few small changes in the interface

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

First of all, let me compliment you on this program. I've used a lot of music programs and I found none so intuitive as this one, except for cooledit, but that's in a whole other area. Oh rebirth is of course quite intuitive too, just not so easy to compose with. It reminds me of fruity loops of course, but I never found that easy to use and I tend to refuse learning interfaces when I don't get the basics the first time I use it. Cubase was the only program I made an exception for. Since linux is my basic operating system I was quite happy when I finally found this program, which allows me to practise my hobby again.

The feature requests/interface changes.

When you synchronize the speed to a beat, the interface suddenly differs from the rest of the program, where you hardly need the right mouse button. If you're experimenting with different settings there, it's quite annoying to press right mouse button, choose the sync option and then choose the synchronizing speed. If you could just make a button (synchronize on/off) and then use the speed knob to change the setting, that would be much easier.

In the song editor it would be really nice to be able to split/join patterns in it. That's more work than just a change in interface, but it would be a great feature to improve the work flow.

It would also be a great help if the automation you create for a knob, would appear in the song editor. That way you could also turn off the automation to be able to hear the difference or experiment with the settings of the plugin without interference. It would be helpful in general to be able to turn off the automation completely if you decide it's not what you want. Maybe that is possible, but I haven't yet found out how.

Another nice thing would be to be able to select multiple patterns and copy them together. Next thing would be to be able to edit multiple patterns in the pattern editor, but that's a whole lot more work. I guess it's not that important. It is sometime useful to have two piano rolls opened to compare the notes and see the harmonies

In the piano roll it would be nice if the note led up on the piano, to show the current position. My laptop has a quite high resolution and not a very big screen and it's not alway easy to see which note you're on. Also if the raster would change a little to show the black notes, like with a different backgroundcolor and/or change the height on the raster, instead of on the keys of the keyboard. That would emphasize the different characters of the keys more.

Since I have a wide screen, I would like to change the standard layout, so I can use the whole screen. The layout is saved with the songs, so it should not be so hard to create a save routine for it. You could even save it as a song, with a certain title, which is automatically loaded at startup and used as Untitled*.

A pull down menu with all the functions and the corresponding keys would also be nice. I'm not really good with the icons, I keep forgetting which one does what. Anyway it's always nice to have choice. And a list just has a better overview ;)

That's quite a list but most of them should not require very much work. It hope some of it can be used to improve the program.
martinbaselier wrote:Since I have a wide screen, I would like to change the standard layout, so I can use the whole screen. The layout is saved with the songs, so it should not be so hard to create a save routine for it. You could even save it as a song, with a certain title, which is automatically loaded at startup and used as Untitled*.
If you created an MMP with your settings in, saved it as .lmms.default.mmp, and aliased 'lmms' to 'lmms .lmms.default.mmp', then running lmms with no command line parameters will always load that file.