Suggestion for Output Visulisation, & for Piano Roll import

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

1) If the coloured Master Output Visualisation were to be shown as a bar (thick line) across the Main Project Window, say just above the bar (measure) numbers, then it would be easier to spot where any overload problems were.

2) I would find it helpful if I could import into the Piano Roll a simple text file with the fields:-

Note Pitch (int, eg starting with 1 for C0, 2 for C#0 etc, (depending on how LMMS stores Piano Roll));

Start Time ((long int) time from beginning of piece, OR (int) Measure number followed by (int) time from start of measure (depending on how Piano Roll is stored in LMMS));

Duration (int, where 192 is a crochet as normal);

Volume (int, 0 - 200).

This would enable me to transfer music written in a stylised text format (derived from the design of a program I originally wrote in the late 70's, in assembler) into LMMS. The current version of the program (in C) is in the Standard State, and needs a bit more tweaking.

BTW I think LMMS is Great!!
SGC wrote:new
Hi
Welcome to the forum SGC! First, For you all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740

Im afraid non on you suggestions will get my vote. The first would be quite messy, and there is much better solutions:
Get SPAN
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Tested_VSTs
and use that to 'display' your dB output. As a side..note :P -lmms is actually going to include a very fine new visualizer/ eq as a native plugin. SPAN has some additional stuf, so SPAN is still neat

Input through text-edits will be an almost sure never
I can understand your interest because of the proggy you have made, but i thing the way to go here, is taht your program exports a lmms style pianoroll. Text-inputs to piano-roll: cant see it happen.
Thanks Musikbear,
I tried to find the internal format for Piano Roll without success, so I asked the question, hoping that it might be a simple mod to read in data items of 4 fields.

I'll look at exporting in one of the midi formats.

I'll also have a look at SPAN.

Thanks again..
SGC wrote:2) I would find it helpful if I could import into the Piano Roll a simple text file with the fields:-

Note Pitch (int, eg starting with 1 for C0, 2 for C#0 etc, (depending on how LMMS stores Piano Roll));

Start Time ((long int) time from beginning of piece, OR (int) Measure number followed by (int) time from start of measure (depending on how Piano Roll is stored in LMMS));

Duration (int, where 192 is a crochet as normal);

Volume (int, 0 - 200).

This would enable me to transfer music written in a stylised text format (derived from the design of a program I originally wrote in the late 70's, in assembler) into LMMS. The current version of the program (in C) is in the Standard State, and needs a bit more tweaking.
It sounds like your program has almost enough information to output MIDI (which LMMS and the rest of the musical universe understands) instead of it's unique text format. Alternatively your output might be closer to modern ABC text format though if I recall ABC doesn't include volume....but there are several programs that will convert ABC to MIDI for LMMS and other DAWs.

The chances of anyone putting in all the work needed to include a unique non-standard input format in LMMS can't be great.

Steve
with pyknon or jsmidi
you can write tool for convert youtr text format to midi
then import lmms to LMMS
musikbear wrote: As a side..note :P -lmms is actually going to include a very fine new visualizer/ eq as a native plugin.
Oooh are we going to get a visual EQ like FL's parametric EQ 2?
Snarf wrote: Oooh are we going to get a visual EQ like FL's parametric EQ 2?
Unless some unexpected problems hits -again- :/ ..Then

Cant say when
Awesome! Seems kinda small but I'll take it.