Groovebox GUI - One-Window-Fullscreen-GUI

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

This is a wish which will not be possible. I always dreamed of programming a GUI for a DAW and now I see, FL-Studio has a Plugin like what I want to do.

Here is my idea:

The small plugin Window with its Tabs would be streched over the whole screen, making a One-Fullscreen-App. Inspired by the Korg EMX1 and ESX1. I like to simulate two hardware instruments melted together. A Synth/Sample/Drum-Groovebox, and a Mixer. Possibly shown in two different windows on different desktops or screens. Depending on the size of the midicontroler, you could make music like this: Press a letter key on your keyboard and turn the wheels (about 60 turn-wheels at the standard configuration). Or if the controler is small (at least 6 wheels and two or four knobs which can also be contolled by wheels, of course) , press a letter, than a number to select a small section of the screen and turn the wheels. How many controls you have in every section, section tab and which is your choice, configurable - depending on your screen size and midi-controler-size and how precisely you like to control your plugins/program. You can select more than one section by pressing one of the section numbers in the group. Pressing a number multible times, cycles through the tabs of the section.

Ten sections: On the top is the global section with play, pause, FX send-return from the mixer, master volume, tempo, takt, and as many wheels you like to add for global control. Then there is the synth section. Depending on you plugin it could look like now in LMMS or have a tab for every oscillator. Here you can quickly choose other plugins, (with or without effect plugins also as part-(track)-preset and cycle through the presets of the plugin. Then you have a modulation-controler section with maybe standard three controler on one tab. A filter section with a standard filter like now in LMMS or with a filter plugin or to control the filter from the synth-plugin. The FX section where you can see three or four (standard the first three or four on the mixer - every part/track generates a mixer track) effects from the mixer. An arp-section. A special section for specialties of the synth-plugin. On the bottom of the screen are the part/track buttons. The Korgs had nine drum and five synth or sample parts. Here you see all parts. The drums, the synths, the samples and chosen mixer parts. Above is the sequencer section. It can open a full-screen piano roll. Here you also see the part and top-global section. So you can quickly change parts and make a melody. Between the parts and the piano roll you can edit some things for the steps like volume, pan and every automated control.

You have the Synth/Sample-Groovebox and the mixer.
The mixer is like now in LMMS but with the effect section made so you can fast control the effects. Also with EQ (standard but also changeable for every track with a plugin). Aside from hard linked controls, you always control with your midi-controlers what you see on the screen.

This is just a short overview, I know specifically how it should work.

The only thing that is not just GUI is the song building method. It is pattern based. Every pattern combines parts/tracks, the plugins in every part and the melody/rhythm. The program needs to know, which plugins will be on the next pattern, and which where on the last, so if you select, go-to, the next pattern it should load everything without loading interruptions.

(Edit: The solution for the plugin change on patterns: A pattern contains up to 26 tracks (plus mixer tracks, not seen at the groovebox to play/mute/solo and song tracks (which are samples that can be placed in the song-edit-window and play over two or more patterns). They are named A1 to Z1, A2 to Z2, ... A128 to Z128 (plus a name of the users choosing) Every pattern can contain combinations of numbers but not of letters. So A2, B1, C1, ... X4, Y2, Z2 - for example. So if you want to change the synth or fx configuration of track A1, you make a track A2, then A3 and so forth.) Also: 26 tracks because of 26 letters. The grooveboxes I use as inspiration are normaly used with Korg EMX1 and ESX1 mixed with a DJ-Mixer. They have each 9 drum and 5 synth/sample parts or tracks - makes 28 tracks.

Every pattern is just about 128 steps long. You could export a song to a wave file by selecting pattern x to y in a browser and select export. Or you use the song building window, where you can put the patterns on a time-line, split them into the tracks they combine and ad global automations and the above mentioned song-tracks and export.

Edit2: The program has different screens. The groovebox screen like described above, the mixer screen, the pattern/song-edit/export screen, maybe a special piano-roll-screen where you can display all piano-rolls - it is like the beat+bassline-editor but with piano-rolls instead of the step-sequencer, and a configuration-screen where you can make groovebox templates and import new plugins. One plugin can be imported in different ways with different names. How many controlls are linked, which controlers are where, on which tab. Do I use the plugin filter, the standard DAW filter or any other filter plugin with this synth? The same with any other section and control, EQ, pitch, or whatever the plugin brings to the table.

Maybe there is a program out there, which I do not know, but I think something like that would be a new player on the marked. But at least a single window GUI where you can make music fast on the fly without a mouse would be much better than the FL-Studio-style GIU from now. Who knows grooveboxes knows also, that they are really fun to play with. As a DAW the groovebox could be everywhere (from the user configurated) between the simple groovebox and some highly specialized synths/sampler.
HERE IS IN SHORT WHAT IS IN THE LONG TEXT ABOVE

I think I have a very good idea for a DAW GUI.

Like the Korg groove-boxes EMX-1 and ESX-1.

Imagine you have a midi-keyboard and a midi-contoller with 6 wheels and 6 knobs. You press a letter and a number on your computer keybord and play a melody and use your midi controller to play around. You do not need to search for windows, you do not need your mouse very often. Every controll is accessed in one second.

You have the easy to use experience of a groove-box and - because its software - the in-depth and extensive options of full grown synthesizers, drum-machines and samplers.
if they do lmms as some server
and make possibility for using browser for creating any custom GUI

for now i have idea for creating custom simple GUI wich export to lmms file format. only simple, sample based projects.
rickdeckard wrote:if they do lmms as some server
and make possibility for using browser for creating any custom GUI

for now i have idea for creating custom simple GUI wich export to lmms file format. only simple, sample based projects.
if it is browserbased, can you not just make a new daw with ladspa synths and fx? But more important: you can make a gui for sample based projects? How?