Making native instruments into VSTs?

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Sure enough LMMS did stand for Linux MultiMedia Studio. But that was a while ago.

Personally I don't mind other people using Linux but to me it's still for people who want to play about with computers, fiddling about rebuilding the operating system and so on. Probably fine for companies like Google who employ hundreds of techs just to keep things running but me, I just want to use a computer I switch on and it works ;).

Steve
slipstick wrote: I just want to use a computer I switch on and it works ;).

Steve
I am still waiting for the companies to build one. ;)

To me the word computer is another word for problems no matter what OS I use.

I prefer Linux over windows because its more stable.

I whish I could say the same of the programs on Linux though. ;)

Call me cynical but the big difference for me, between both os, is that when on Linux a program crashes, I hardly ever have to reboot my pc.
Same for updates and also no reboot needed when you install a program.
Gps wrote:
duderino wrote:Ha, was worth a shot. I think the kicker about kicker is it functions much better than fruit kick or bassdrum at times, plus you can actually make notes sound more natural. Sfxr? Why would I not want a vst version of that? Where I don't need to be forced to render every sound as a wave. Patman is a good option I wish were more available to other DAWs.

The hard part of being LMMS and Linux Multi Media Studio to me is recommending it to people. Most people usually go "but it's got Linux in the name. The **** is that good for? Is it compatible with my pc/mac?" Until they actually try it.

Despite me being new to Linux tho, I dig it.

Not trying to rip you off, just trying to help you market to rigid people.
I am a linux fan and run LMMS on Linux (opensuse) but you can use windows just as well.

I even think most users on these forums are not on Linux.

Windows users can go to the download page of lmms, download it, install it, the same way they get other software.

If I am not mistaken LMMS ones did start on Linux only, but its has been cross-platform for many years now.
There even is or was a Mac version, but prob because mac users can already pick from so many Music programs that there is little to no interest in lmms for mac.

For people who are scared of the word Linux, don't use google, every time you google you are on a Linux server. ;)

Linux is not used much on desktop pc, it is the number 1 os on servers and supercomputers though. ( and is used on telephones Android )

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-use-Lin ... r-Apple-OS
huh...you learn something new everyday.
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:
grejppi wrote:
Or maybe it's because with default settings LMMS even clips individual notes while FL Studio puts a limiter on master by default...
which makes lmms even better. requires more skill.
More skill? Not really sure about that. Using the characteristics of a program as an advantage? I'd settle on that.
grejppi wrote: Maybe it's because FL has been engineered to sound very flat to get past their audio engine wars of earlier versions.
Or maybe it's because with default settings LMMS even clips individual notes while FL Studio puts a limiter on master by default...[/quote]
Honestly it's just about impossible to get good mixes with the limiter on the master in FL Studio (I've tried and failed, "swelling" commonly ruins tracks when the limiter is on) so I changed my default template to have nothing on the master.

So I'm using FL 10. I went into the file system in LMMS and used two of the stock sounds found on the template in FL (minus the stock bass, which is in a different folder) in LMMS.

I couldn't get LMMS in the mood to export tracks so I recorded everything into Audacity through the stereo mix output.

LMMS is simply louder by default.

https://soundcloud.com/somethinginprogr ... comparison

I'm not going to get started on Linux, let's just say I don't like terminal command functioning operating systems and if you're going to make it your "main OS" it's more time down.
duderino wrote:
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:
grejppi wrote:
Or maybe it's because with default settings LMMS even clips individual notes while FL Studio puts a limiter on master by default...
which makes lmms even better. requires more skill.
More skill? Not really sure about that. Using the characteristics of a program as an advantage? I'd settle on that.
grejppi wrote: Maybe it's because FL has been engineered to sound very flat to get past their audio engine wars of earlier versions.
Link doesn't work.
are you trying from a desktop/laptop or phone? I set the link to "private". Usually, mobile devices and private don't play together.
duderino wrote:are you trying from a desktop/laptop or phone? I set the link to "private". Usually, mobile devices and private don't play together.
I'm using mobile, makes sense, when I get the chance I will try to do it from desktop.
I guess I'll add, I kind of lied, I had to turn down the bass in LMMS on the sample. When you see you'll understand.