Making native instruments into VSTs?

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I haven't brought up the fact much, but I do use other DAWs, namely fruity loops.

Your software appeals to me because it is open source and friendly to use, but moreover the sounds I can get out of LMMS have a quality that I cannot generate in another DAW or simply generate from scratch.

I think if it were possible to put out instruments as VSTi's (don't get me wrong, Linux is cool, but I really have no clue about it, from terminal commands to LAPSDA format instruments) it could create at least promotion of the fact you exist, bringing a stronger presence around the Web on other forums, and maybe additional developers.

Just an idea.
duderino wrote: I think if it were possible to put out instruments as VSTi's
I do not understand what you want?
Do you want current LMMS instruments to be useable in other DAWs like FLs, so you could use LMMS' 3OC inside FLs?
That is never going to happen :)

If thats not it, what does you then ask for?
Ha, was worth a shot. I think the kicker about kicker is it functions much better than fruit kick or bassdrum at times, plus you can actually make notes sound more natural. Sfxr? Why would I not want a vst version of that? Where I don't need to be forced to render every sound as a wave. Patman is a good option I wish were more available to other DAWs.

The hard part of being LMMS and Linux Multi Media Studio to me is recommending it to people. Most people usually go "but it's got Linux in the name. The **** is that good for? Is it compatible with my pc/mac?" Until they actually try it.

Despite me being new to Linux tho, I dig it.

Not trying to rip you off, just trying to help you market to rigid people.
duderino wrote:Ha, was worth a shot. I think the kicker about kicker is it functions much better than fruit kick or bassdrum at times, plus you can actually make notes sound more natural. Sfxr? Why would I not want a vst version of that? Where I don't need to be forced to render every sound as a wave. Patman is a good option I wish were more available to other DAWs.

The hard part of being LMMS and Linux Multi Media Studio to me is recommending it to people. Most people usually go "but it's got Linux in the name. The **** is that good for? Is it compatible with my pc/mac?" Until they actually try it.

You can use LMMS on windows, just thought you should know if you didn't, because i greatly dislike linux. and ya, i luv 3osc on LMMS, one of the best plugins IMHO, other than ZynAddSubFx. you could download Zyn for FL Studio i think, since its not a truly "Native" plugin. you can download that here: http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net.

sorry to get off topic, but from what i hear from there site, they are working a new interface. im excited, because the current one is cluttered and hard to navigate.
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:
duderino wrote:Ha, was worth a shot. I think the kicker about kicker is it functions much better than fruit kick or bassdrum at times, plus you can actually make notes sound more natural. Sfxr? Why would I not want a vst version of that? Where I don't need to be forced to render every sound as a wave. Patman is a good option I wish were more available to other DAWs.

You can use LMMS on windows, just thought you should know if you didn't, because i greatly dislike linux. and ya, i luv 3osc on LMMS, one of the best plugins IMHO, other than ZynAddSubFx. you could download Zyn for FL Studio i think, since its not a truly "Native" plugin. you can download that here: http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net.

sorry to get off topic, but from what i hear from there site, they are working a new interface. im excited, because the current one is cluttered and hard to navigate.
I hear you but I thought it would be nice to be able to just use the plugins. Image-line sells that ability, however.

Even tonally, the DAWS have a different "tone" to them. LMMS sounds open, and lo-fi is easy to create, it crunches pleasantly even when I'm clipping tracks. FL has a compressed sort of sound, even if I don't like to admit it. It's harder to thump with it, but easier in ways to use.

Zyn? Zyn has been buggy with me. ...never got really into it. I'm kind of a simpleton as for how I synth.

Using both DAWS together they honestly add what both feel a bit lacking in.
duderino wrote: Even tonally, the DAWS have a different "tone" to them. LMMS sounds open, and lo-fi is easy to create, it crunches pleasantly even when I'm clipping tracks. FL has a compressed sort of sound, even if I don't like to admit it.
I find this info interesting. :geek:
brandystarbrite wrote:
duderino wrote: Even tonally, the DAWS have a different "tone" to them. LMMS sounds open, and lo-fi is easy to create, it crunches pleasantly even when I'm clipping tracks. FL has a compressed sort of sound
I'll see if I can facilitate some conditions in which I can coax this into a SoundCloud.

Maybe it's because FL has been engineered to sound very flat to get past their audio engine wars of earlier versions.
duderino wrote:
brandystarbrite wrote:
duderino wrote: Even tonally, the DAWS have a different "tone" to them. LMMS sounds open, and lo-fi is easy to create, it crunches pleasantly even when I'm clipping tracks. FL has a compressed sort of sound
I'll see if I can facilitate some conditions in which I can coax this into a SoundCloud.

Maybe it's because FL has been engineered to sound very flat to get past their audio engine wars of earlier versions.
Or maybe it's because with default settings LMMS even clips individual notes while FL Studio puts a limiter on master by default...
grejppi wrote:
Or maybe it's because with default settings LMMS even clips individual notes while FL Studio puts a limiter on master by default...
which makes lmms even better. requires more skill.

I am a linux fan and run LMMS on Linux (opensuse) but you can use windows just as well.

I even think most users on these forums are not on Linux.

Windows users can go to the download page of lmms, download it, install it, the same way they get other software.

If I am not mistaken LMMS ones did start on Linux only, but its has been cross-platform for many years now.
There even is or was a Mac version, but prob because mac users can already pick from so many Music programs that there is little to no interest in lmms for mac.

For people who are scared of the word Linux, don't use google, every time you google you are on a Linux server. ;)

Linux is not used much on desktop pc, it is the number 1 os on servers and supercomputers though. ( and is used on telephones Android )

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-use-Lin ... r-Apple-OS