Constraint modes during dial/knob/slider adjustments

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

An idea that makes it easier to quickly adjust knobs. Basically you hold down a hotkey while drag-adjusting a knob.
  • Hold down shift while manipulating a knob - moves knob by large values. Goes from one extent of the range to the other quickly.
  • No key held down while adjusting - knob moves at some rate in the middle. (Default obviously.)
  • Hold down alt while manipulating a knob - moves knob by very small fractional values.
And perhaps a combination of the two for another step level of control. I'd also suggest control as a hotkey, but right now that's being used to drag various controls to automation tracks, which is why I don't see that one being implemented without some other changes.
Most of lmms controls -all knobs and almost all sliders will move in a single-value-step if you scroll your mouse-wheel:
Just rest the cursor over the knob, and then scroll your mouse-wheel.
There is even a readout of the new value.
No 'largeMove' exists, but rightclic a knob -the context-menu opens, and you and type the new value in
-----
uhoh forgot - the mousewheel trick is also good fot getting rid of the pesty bug that sometimes apear, do to the implementation of the 'sticky-knob-feature'. This implementation is flawed and will sometimes freeze a knob in a fixed position. If you scroll a new value in, the freeze is gone and you and now turn the knob freely again

B.r
That "sticky-knob" thing tends to be annoying as hell. :x Good intent, but poor implementation. So I know all about it. :roll:

But for quick workflow sometimes constraints steps or multipliers are better than direct entry. At least anyone who has some experience with 3D modeling software will understand. Sometimes you want that drag action to be a big one and other times a small one. And possibly jumping between rates of movement without stopping the adjustment process. This could also be something you'd do while an instrument or track is playing, and would be more natural and intuitive than playing the high-low guessing game until zeroing in on what sounds right.

The current implementation of a cutoff knob which has a ridiculously large range of values, but a seemingly impossibly tight fractional range that actually sounds good would greatly benefit from this kind of thing.
Musikbear said:
uhoh forgot - the mousewheel trick is also good fot getting rid of the pesty bug that sometimes apear, do to the implementation of the 'sticky-knob-feature'. This implementation is flawed and will sometimes freeze a knob in a fixed position. If you scroll a new value in, the freeze is gone and you and now turn the knob freely again
Yeah I know all about that "annoying bug that freezes the knobs ," It sometimes happens in the envelope option of Lmms.
To get around the "freeze knob glitch," I would right click the "knob thingy," then input a "higher" or "Lower" value, and that would fix the problem.
But sometimes, "if you move it back to the amount it was stuck on, when it froze" " "It Refreezes again!" :shock:

Then you'd have to right click and do what I said earlier in this post. Sigh. Tiring. :shock: