A new LMMS Oscillator, The 4 Oscillator

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hi guy's. My wish for LMMS in the not too distant future, is an upgraded version of the triple oscillator, called the "4 Oscillator." Yay!! :D
It doesn't have to replace the original Triple Oscillator. The extra Oscillator, it could just be an extra feature/add on/extra oscillator/extra goodness, for triple Oscillator.
More Oscillator power for LMMS and everyone. Yay!! :D

Note to myself: I gotta come up with a better name than "4 Oscillator" though.
Have you tried ZynAddSubFX? It has 8 oscillators per instrument, and you can have I think 16 instruments per synth, so it has more than enough power.
orpheon7 wrote:Have you tried ZynAddSubFX? It has 8 oscillators per instrument, and you can have I think 16 instruments per synth, so it has more than enough power.
Yeah! I heard about that ZynAddSubFX. It's real neat! I read, alot of people who are learning how to use it, find it really great and it's even called by some, as the most "complex" Vst/effect etc. to learn, with a huge learning curve. There are not many tuts on how to use it in Lmms though. The same goes for ZynAddSubFX tuts for other DAW's.

I hope to get my "Beanies" around it soon. Been reading the LMMS manual, to learn more Lmms stuff. And I'm on the ZynAddSubFX article now. This thing is amazing. :o
Hope I figure it out soon. WISH ME LUCK!
Good luck!
brandystarbrite wrote:
orpheon7 wrote:Have you tried ZynAddSubFX? It has 8 oscillators per instrument, and you can have I think 16 instruments per synth, so it has more than enough power.
Yeah! I heard about that ZynAddSubFX. It's real neat! I read, alot of people who are learning how to use it, find it really great and it's even called by some, as the most "complex" Vst/effect etc. to learn, with a huge learning curve. There are not many tuts on how to use it in Lmms though. The same goes for ZynAddSubFX tuts for other DAW's.

I hope to get my "Beanies" around it soon. Been reading the LMMS manual, to learn more Lmms stuff. And I'm on the ZynAddSubFX article now. This thing is amazing. :o
Hope I figure it out soon. WISH ME LUCK!
Btw, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I don't know where to start. :D
Well I'll give it a try and ask my first questions:

1)Whats the first thing I should learn, when using this Vst? "It's got 2 options, Beginner and Advanced." LOL!! Makes sense. And it's interface is a bit confusing. And it has lots of options too. :o

2)How do you make Trance plucky notes and that Trance ambient background music, using the ZynAddSubFX? Even a Super simple example tut, or explanation would help. I can't find anything of the sort online. Or on Lmms YouTube videos. Wah!! :shock:
zynAddSubFX is not complicated
I will post a short vid later -perhaps today, and show how to use 3 or more waveshapes (voices) in zyn

br.
brandystarbrite wrote:I don't know where to start. :D
Well I'll give it a try and ask my first questions:

1)Whats the first thing I should learn, when using this Vst? "It's got 2 options, Beginner and Advanced." LOL!! Makes sense. And it's interface is a bit confusing. And it has lots of options too. :o

2)How do you make Trance plucky notes and that Trance ambient background music, using the ZynAddSubFX? Even a Super simple example tut, or explanation would help. I can't find anything of the sort online. Or on Lmms YouTube videos. Wah!! :shock:
Beginner is useless (for me), advanced lets you make your own sound. Yes, it has a ton of options, don't let them worry you, just ignore them until you understand them. I don't understand them all either (yet) :P .

Click on "Edit Instrument". A new window will pop up, click on "ADD Synth". There you see what is in 3xOsc the second tab with all the filters, lfos, envelopes, etc...
Click on "Show Voice parameters", and you get the window for the first oscilliator. Here, you can make filter/lfo/envelope only for this osc and detune and other stuff. Ignore all big buttons now, go to the section where you see the green sine wave and click on "Change" (left of the waveform). Another big window will appear, with two waveforms. The left one is the output, the right one is the osc itself without harmonics editing etc. Ignore the left waveform, ignore all the knobs underneath. Right under the right waveform you'll see a know "Base function:" and on the knob "Sine". Open this dropdown menu to choose your waveform. Right from this dropdown menu you see a knob called "Par", play around with this, you'll see immediately what it does to your waveform.
Note that the names are the names of the mathematical functions, and not of the musical standard. A saw wave is the "power" wave, the one called "saw" is actually a triangle wave. Square is pulse wave, and the others don't have famous names IIRC.
Back on the oscilliator window, you see two arrows at the bottom right, and a number between them. This shows what oscilliator you're on, click on the left one to go to osc 2.

This should be enough to make a simple saw-wave. Back on the synth window (the one that came up after you clicked on ADD Synth), at the top-right you have the filter. Keep it on analog, put it on mode LP2 (Low-pass v2) and play with the cutoff and Q (which is the same thing as the resonance in 3xOsc).

Finally, on the first window, click on the "Insertion effect" tab, "Add effect", and then on "Chorus". Leave the settings (or play with them, as you want), click on the arrow at the left to switch effect, and add afterwards "Reverb", "Echo" if you want and even maybe "Phaser".

This should give you a nice supersaw, and if you change the volume envelope (=amplitude envelope), you can get a pluck from it.
Thanks for this nice info. I'll repost a reply as soon as I follow your longer tut orpheon7. :D
musikbear wrote:zynAddSubFX is not complicated
I will post a short vid later -perhaps today, and show how to use 3 or more waveshapes (voices) in zyn

br.
Thanks musikbear. I'm looking forward to it. I'll be sure to check out your vid, as soon as you post a link, or, announce it in the tutorials section of the Lmms forum.

I'll be back.................... :shock: