"Grouping" sounds in beat/bassline editor

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hi all,

For those of you who are familiar with FL Studio, one thing that I remember being very helpful on that was the ability to "group" or organize sounds. Here's an example:

Let's say I'm using a drum kit: I create a basic loop with the kick, snare and closed hi-hat. This works great, but then let's say I create a second beat with some rim shots, or an open hi-hat, or those other ones (tom toms? LOL IDK I am so not a kit drummer). Add a tambourine, or a cow bell, or maybe another cymbal or two (and I have a buddy who has like five in his set, all w/different sounds) and the total number of sounds can go from 3 to 9-plus. So in FL Studio to help organize these sounds, they had an option where you could organize sounds into "groups" and only work with one group at a time. So in the example above the groups could be something like, "drum set essentials", "drum set extras" etc.

So my suggestion would be for a similar feature in LMMS (if one doesn't already exist). :)
Uhh...I don't really understand what you mean. What's wrong with simply another beat/bassline track?
Another track will still have all 9+ instruments to sift through till you find the ones you're looking for. Like one track may only need 3-4 sounds or so, but then with enough tracks (tracks with fills, change in kick/snare/whatever) we're talking a pile of instruments to go through when creating each track. So more tracks isn't necessarily the answer.

By being able to "group" sounds, it would be a lot easier to keep track of what I have and what it does. See in reggaeton music you may have multiple kicks/snares/hats/etc in the same song (not all at the same time, but still enough to where it gets a bit tricky trying to manage them all). THe thing is, no matter how many tracks you have, all 9+ sounds will show up on each track (even if they are empty). It would be a lot easier to just look at the 3-4 sounds I'm using for the current track. It's kind of like looking at an entire folder full of sounds on one track vs. only the ones you're going to use for that track. If you see how FL Studio's beat/bassline editor works you'll get the idea. :)
Ah. In this case, I agree completely.
Yeah. That'll be nice if you could do that in Lmms. :)
It'll be much easier for everyone and music making too.