What would it take to get audio recording added to LMMS?

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Obviously its a project that would require some serious work, but where would it even begin?

Is it possible to add to the existing code base? or would it require fundamentally reworking the way LMMS handles audio?

I imagine most people use Audacity (or something similar) in tandem with LMMS, Could recording be handled by including an 'instrument' that spits out samples after you play into it for a set number of bars? idk just riffing mobdro kodi , I have none of the requisite knowledge for fully understanding or solving these problems.

live audio recording seems to be the main thing holding LMMS back from more widespread adoption. could be cool if it existed.
Send me a direct message, I've actually been working on this slowly but surely. I understand it's such a huge frustration so I've been taking it on as an individual project. I've hated having to record in audacity and then import to lmms, so I was finally like fuck it and started doing something about. I need to understand a little bit more about the source code before I can implement port audio features and the record and stop buttons to go along with it. I know a little bit but really I'm not a coder, and to be honest for someone who knows QT and C++ well, this doesn't seem like that hard of a task so I find it appalling it hasn't been added yet. I'm closing in on completing the DLL files, then I have to work on making corresponding buttons.