A couple of new features for the synths in LMMS

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hi all,
a couple things that I think would be very nice with all of the synths in LMMS (3OSC, Monstro, WatSyn, etc) would be:

1) portamento (glide) and value adjustment;

2) monophonic capability, with legato/retrigger options

3) some way for the synths to see sustain pedal input. My pedal is quite useless as is. (I tried binding the pedal signal to the sustain level, but it gave an incorrect "on-off" reaction for some reason.)

Anyway, just some thoughts I had recently while enjoying LMMS! :)
Kudos!

brian
As a follow-up to my previous post, I have discovered that my sustain pedal will work if the amp envelope dial is set to zero. But if I use any other setting for this envelope, the pedal is unusable.

A couple of extra thoughts:

make each track have a setting for the midi keyboard hi and low ranges,

and maybe trim down the Moog filter resonance capability.. anything beyond about 15% goes off the charts and is unusable.

brian
Some of this stuff can happen, but it gets complicated explaining it.

Portamento and value adjustment can be accomplished with detuning your notes, which is achieved by clicking the automation picture in the piano editor. Works for every synth plugin, save one- ZynAddSubFX. Because it's an outside plugin, you can't detune inside the piano editor; all you can do is use the portamento knob in the settings inside LMMS.

You can try using the pitch knob for detuning ZASFX, but it's very hard. It's accomplished by setting the number (the amount of notes the pitch can go up and down to) next to the pitch knob to what you want and then putting the pitch knob into an automation editor. Once you've got those steps down, you automate the pitch how you want it to detune the notes, but it's very tricky and takes a long time. (Sorry for the long explanation, I love ranting on about this stuff :P)

As for legato, ZASFX supports that inside the plugin when you open it, but I don't know of any way to accomplish that in the other synth plugins. I request this feature along with brianc.
brianc wrote: 1) portamento (glide) and value adjustment;
2) monophonic capability, with legato/retrigger options
3) some way for the synths to see sustain pedal input. My pedal is quite useless as is.
all of witch is suggested ealier, these are duplicate requests
Etorna_Z wrote: You can try using the pitch knob for detuning ZASFX, but it's very hard.
Nee.. not very, but it does need a coupl. of thoughts before it w2orks :p
But here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcyMSpHyL8I
I do it, not just for notes, but for chords!
Etorna_Z wrote:Some of this stuff can happen, but it gets complicated explaining it.

Portamento and value adjustment can be accomplished with detuning your notes, which is achieved by clicking the automation picture in the piano editor. Works for every synth plugin, save one- ZynAddSubFX. Because it's an outside plugin, you can't detune inside the piano editor; all you can do is use the portamento knob in the settings inside LMMS.

You can try using the pitch knob for detuning ZASFX, but it's very hard. It's accomplished by setting the number (the amount of notes the pitch can go up and down to) next to the pitch knob to what you want and then putting the pitch knob into an automation editor. Once you've got those steps down, you automate the pitch how you want it to detune the notes, but it's very tricky and takes a long time. (Sorry for the long explanation, I love ranting on about this stuff :P)

As for legato, ZASFX supports that inside the plugin when you open it, but I don't know of any way to accomplish that in the other synth plugins. I request this feature along with brianc.
Usually the portamento is a live performance feature, not something that is recorded in the piano roll. At least in my case, where I want to record the audio signal of the LMMS synth I am playing, it would be nice to have that capability within the synth itself (the same as how the pitch bend is a realtime feature). Of course, portamento is not the same as pitchbending or detuning; they are all different features. Having to use the piano roll to create a portamento effect in a recorded part would take a very long time indeed!

brian