I'd like to build some native LMMS plugins!

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hello LMMS-ers,

I'm new to the world of LMMS, but not to the world of audio programming.

I've been really excited by the community so far, and I'd love to be a contributor. One of the places I feel I could be useful is in implementing some native LMMS audio plugins that are commercial-grade.

I am hoping to get feedback as to the sorts of instrument or effect units LMMS is lacking in.

For instance, I've already implemented a reverb effect, and I am working towards implementing a vowel filter/synthesizer and a simple FM synth.

Many thanks,

-P
patchelor wrote:Hello LMMS-ers,
Hi Poul :)
I will give you my .05 € on this.
IMO -The best a good programmer like you could do right now, is to crush criticals that are blocking the release of 1.2.0
Otherwise i know that a lot of users miss a sfX player, especially because the VST ones, are unreliable, and often leads to problems.

Another missed plugin, is a sampler, with pitch-correction
IMO -The best a good programmer like you could do right now, is to crush criticals that are blocking the release of 1.2.0
As I get into the LMMS codebase, I hope to make more useful contributions. Is there a place the devs hang out and talk about releases?
Otherwise i know that a lot of users miss a sfX player, especially because the VST ones, are unreliable, and often leads to problems.
What is a sfX player? Do you mean a sound font player? (sfz, sf2, etc)
Another missed plugin, is a sampler, with pitch-correction
So, like an AudioFileProcessor with autotune? I'd be interested in what the intended use cases for an instrument like that would be.
patchelor wrote: As I get into the LMMS codebase, I hope to make more useful contributions. Is there a place the devs hang out and talk about releases
Ya on the hub, you already wrote some threads, i think?
But also on freenote
all links here http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740

What is a sfX player? Do you mean a sound font player? (sfz, sf2, etc)
lmms has support for sf2, but not sfX, so thats a missed plugin
AudioFileProcessor with autotune? : what the intended use cases for an instrument like that would be.
when a sample is loaded in AFP sample length will change with different note-position, that mekes only one position usable. Good samplers can stretch the sample tom orr. length, but still play the correct pitch in Hz
patchelor wrote: As I get into the LMMS codebase, I hope to make more useful contributions. Is there a place the devs hang out and talk about releases?
Hello, we have a lot of discussion on our GitHub, but the better place is our discord. Discord is a free, cross-platform chat client.
https://discord.gg/wCdzv
patchelor wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 am
Hello LMMS-ers,

I've been really excited by the community so far, and I'd love to be a contributor. One of the places I feel I could be useful is in implementing some native LMMS audio plugins that are commercial-grade.

I am hoping to get feedback as to the sorts of instrument or effect units LMMS is lacking in.

For instance, I've already implemented a reverb effect, and I am working towards implementing a vowel filter/synthesizer and a simple FM synth.

Many thanks,

-P
This is cool. I'd be nice to see some real style instruments like: Flutes, Violins, and Guitars implemented into LMMS.
patchelor wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 am
Hello LMMS-ers,

Many thanks,

-P
Another good idea is something like Fruity Slicer to make handling samples WAY easier.
@JordanProductions Hey, can you PLEASE make a graphical EQ? LMMS doesn't have any, and while the VSTs do work, they crash quite a bit... If you could make one like FL-Studio's FruityEQ (or whatever it's called) where it shows the sound peaks on the EQ, that would be amazing!

Also, it would be nice if the Spectrum Analyzer was a bit more advanced...
Douglas wrote: @JordanProductions Hey, can you PLEASE make a graphical EQ?
No need, my friend. LMMS has one in the 1.2.0 RC2 version :)

Attachments

Etorna_Z wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:46 pm
Douglas wrote: @JordanProductions Hey, can you PLEASE make a graphical EQ?
No need, my friend. LMMS has one in the 1.2.0 RC2 version :)
Whoa, that's awesome!

When is 1.2.0 going to become non-beta?

...and what is RC2?