Would it be possible add a scripting plugin?

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hello... I know this is probably a stupid question and it has probably been asked before,
but would it be possible to add a simple LMMS native plugin script runner?

I'm not an audio coder, I'm pretty much a lazy games programmer that relies on sound libraries, but wouldn't it be possible to add in a native plugin that allows a (for example), LUA script based off a simple template which has pre-defined inputs and a singular output?

I can understand it would have limitations and potential high CPU usage (Depending on the scripting language footprint and what people do with it), but it would be pretty nifty.

Though, since I'm not an audio programmer, have I missed a simple modular approach to adding plugins?
I'm not really overly interested in VST or VSTI because they don't seem LMMS-friendly.

Thank you for reading.
I'm not a coder or developer, and I'm sort of confused as to what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to implement your own custom plugin? Or do you just want to use 3rd party plugins within LMMS? If it's the latter, I would just go with Vestige, which is the plugin within LMMS made for VST plugins. It has worked for me very well, although you wouldn't think that just by looking at the forum. I've seen many people complain about vst plugins not working. It might just come down to exactly what plugin you're trying to use.
@zonkmachine:
Very cool, I'll have to look into it a bit more when I have more free time, but I'd also love to look into coding these native plugins myself... Though I'd imagine that would take ages since I'm really not an audio coder :(

@Snarf:
Oh, that's not the problem, in fact I don't think it's a problem... Just thought an official scripting layer would be cool.
The VST support is pretty good in LMMS, it just makes some compromises (from what I understand), so I always test a VST against the CPU display when I download it,,, But giving the LMMS community a simple and lightweight scripting plugin that could interface actual functions in the software would (in my lazy uneducated theory), allow for faster plugins, less CPU usage and just open up a lot for LMMS users (especially those who love a bit of coding).