Make GUI Blender's way / no more rebellious child windows

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I spend a lot of time trying to get the windows inside LMMS out of my way.
They're a rebel, and are hard to get in any shape.

There's a GLP project out there that has solved the problem of multiple windows very well, it's a 3D creation package called Blender:

(click to view full-size)

The application's main window is a space devidable into any number of rectangular sections. Every window has a header area where you can change it's type, and access some most used tools.

In LMMS that would be:

Song editor
Pattern editor (B+B)
Automation editor
Piano roll
Mixer
Controllers
Preferences

This avoids the problem of overlapping windows, the problems with moving them away, maximizing and miniizing (In Blender you can maximize/unmaximize any window by pressing Ctrl+↑ or Ctlr+↓ while mouse pointer is over that window).

There programs is able to store multiple GUI layouts (inside the project file, so the GUI is by linked to a project), and switching between them is done with Ctlr+→ and Ctlr+←.

The program is opensource so looking into the code to see how it's done or even re-using it is doable.

I'd love LMMS to have this easy to use interface with no more windows cluttering my desk and problems with minimizing them, unminimizing, no way to croll to a window's header etc...

Taking ideas (and key shortcuts) form Blender would be good, becasue I believe that Blender have defined a standard that could be aplied more widely (I can think of a whole window manager working this way). Also if someone made a standard, and it's good it's better to re-use it than re-invent it. If people see that LMMS an Blender share GUI ideas and hotkeys, we'd gain some new base of users who can move from Blender (not really move as Blender isn't quite capable of what LMMS is).

What are your thought on this?
My thoughts is:

Blender is (almost) a proffesional program. Therefore it have been designed and redesigned plenty of times. Of course it is good, one of the best layouts I have experienced! Blender uses a lot of shortcuts.

LMMS have shortcuts too but is intended to be easy to use, I cannot say that about Blender. I don´t know if the LMMS team even have a designer in their crew, because not much have happened to the design after a lot of requests. It will take time to reposition and rewrite the code and stuff to achieve a such neat interface, and we do not even have a guy to spend that time.

I think it would be nice, but the next thing which hopefully and probably happens in LMMS GUI is that everything becomes customizable. Color and icons that is, not repositioning.