effects that do nothing?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hey all,

I'm playing with all of the effects to learn what they do, but there are many that, as far as I can tell, do nothing. I've been able to google some useful information about some of them but others are still pretty mysterious to me. Can you help me learn?

Starting with the A's, what do these do?
  • 4x4 pole allpass
  • Allpass delay line (all of them)
  • Artificial Latency
spider-worm wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:49 am
Hey all,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum spider-worm!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
I'm playing with all of the effects to learn what they do, but there are many that, as far as I can tell, do nothing. I've been able to google some useful information about some of them but others are still pretty mysterious to me.
Some of them are mysterious:P The only Filters that is really supported are the LMMS-collection, some of the LADSPAs are 'weird' -The CALF and *'' are generally better (imo)
[*]4x4 pole allpass[/*]
All-pass is a filter that allow all frequencies to pass the filter. The benefit of an all-pass is that you can use resonance, and that you in some circumstances can get a more 'unified' output with filter than without. It is custom for most producers to all all-pass to all tracks, if they do not want to use an other type of filter. ImPo that is also connected to some 'need' to have a 'hand-on-everything'. An 'untouched' element could be sneared at, by others..
[*]Allpass delay line (all of them)[/*]
..well in my notes for these filters it says "no function" :p
Normally delay-line filters will add one (or several) repeats of the input. You can then automate, and get an delayed output at controllable time, but it may be broken
[*]Artificial Latency[/*]
I should 'prospone' the output, but why to use it ..i have no idea
That is some really interesting info you gave there musikbear.