How to make a Big Beat production with LMMS?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I can see the potential of LMMS in making the 'Big Beat' sounds of the 1990's; such as Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim and Prodigy.

I'm aware that samples, analogue keyboards, bass programming and drum machines were part of the sound. In theory LMMS could be used to reproduce this style with the ability to sample and program.

I am wondering what the key elements are that would be needed to produce a Big Beat style tune?

What sort of mastering tools would be used to get the muscle production?

Thoughts?
Oops - no response - I tried to delete this but to no avail. Have a nice day :)
Looking at you tube vids, of how other people do it in any daw, probably is the best way to start.
Gps wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:54 pm
Looking at you tube vids, of how other people do it in any daw, probably is the best way to start.
Thanks Gps, I'll check that out
I stayed out of this one, because i simply cant think of anything that makes 'big beat sounds' especially distinctive from other genres. No matter what genre, the biggest and best sound is persuaded, surely that is so, even if you make deutch caugummipop house trance or whatever?
I doubt any producer starts a project with the aim to get a really thin weak sound.
Your 'big beat sounds' depends on the content eg the composition, i am next to sure that there is no production 'trick' that simply creates 'big beat sounds'
musikbear wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:20 am
I doubt any producer starts a project with the aim to get a really thin weak sound.
Thanks musikbear -that is probably the essence of what I'm asking. How to get away from a 'a really thin weak sound'.
I've often concentrated on composition at the expense of production, so I'm interested if anyone has played with this genre. If not, that's fine - I'll look at equivalent genres
eastperson wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 am
How to get away from a 'a really thin weak sound'.
Now thats a different angle, and one i have an idea about:
Use Equalizers!
I have often thought that instruments in lmms was 'weak', but then i realized, that i needed to equalize the basic instrument to the 'color' i was looking for
I made a tutorial on that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mFHDyWGh9c
And don't forget layering. Certainly Chemical Brothers were well known for never using one sample/instrument if they could find 3, 4 or more similar sounds to layer together. That adds a lot of depth to sounds though you do need a good ear to find similar sounds that work together.

In the simplest case when you have a synth track you like just clone it and make a few tiny changes to the synth settings, detune, change filter settings, play with LFO speeds etc. then play both tracks together. For a really full sound add a bit of automation so the settings change subtly over time.

Steve
musikbear wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:15 pm
I made a tutorial on that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mFHDyWGh9c
Yes, thanks for that musikbear - i watched your video and tried it out and it worked well. I'm still getting used to the FX list, so that having the EQ pointed out and demonstrated was helpful and obviously makes the sound bigger. Cheers.
slipstick wrote: ..Certainly Chemical Brothers were well known for never using one sample/instrument if they could find 3, 4 or more similar sounds to layer together. ...synth track you like just clone it and make a few tiny changes to the synth settings, detune, change filter settings, play with LFO speeds etc. then play both tracks together....
@slipstick.This is also, I think, a really important point in getting the bigger sound with legal samples and also the double tracking of the synth. I had experimented with this with guitars in days gone by but not yet using LMMS or synth sounds, so I look forward to it. Thanks for your responses :D